maintain scattered points based on curvature

demoan666

i want to scatter points on a deforming mesh  (a growing mesh) based on its curvature attribute.

currently they are appearing and disappearing as the curvature values are changing (based on the deforming mesh) every frame. 
however i want them not to disappear once they are created and stick to their original position they were created (as closely as they can).

PS: the deforming mesh is generated from a vdb sdf. i am using a triplanar UV on it.

i would highly appreciate any tips and help.

Edited by demoan666

Tesan pointed you to the most common method to sticks your scatter points to your deformed geo.

Now well dont expect miracle. If your curvature is changing quite importantly, your density distribution will also be and off course your scatter point can't stick.

- Try first to see if you could find a frame where the curvature could be a decent compromise for all the animation.

-  If not other ideas will be play with pscale to fadeoff the point instead of brutal disappearing and do a linear interpolation with different timeshift value offset in time.

Or morph between then, so the scatter point could "slide" on the surface and change scalling up and down.

-  Finally a brutal force solution, scatter point all around , stick in place, and link your curvature to pscale using a ramp to fine tune control.

Can't see other solution for now, hope it helps!

Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)  (Available soon)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts

http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas

Edited by vinyvince

Here is a quick capture example using attribfade (and point deform) , you could apply the same method, and even if your cavity map is changing, it will react hopefully smoothly enough. I havent used it for this kind of effect, but You could also eventually used Chop to smooth the anim

Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998, Available soon)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts

http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas

ballnoiseanimatedpscalefading.mp4

Edited by vinyvince