Can't we apply materials to point groups using the material SOP?

Hello. So as you can see in the below screenshots i created a point group named "outer" and tried to apply a material to that group using a Material SOP. But it said the group does not exist and it did not work. Then i ran the wrangle which i used to create the "outer" group over primitives instead of points and created a prim group named "outer". Then it worked as i expected. The Material SOP picked the group name "outer". So my question is doesn't the Material SOP work over point groups? I went through the Material SOP help doc and it said "Assigns a material to a group of primitives or points." I am a bit confused. Do i need to adjust any specific settings in order for it to work over points? 

Thank You! :)

5f6f687f9a7e7_Screenshot(39).png.101717537eafc7303b8554080f21609c.pngCapture.PNG.3d39ae8ad2f8516a22390c68e245623f.PNG

If you switch Attributes drop-down to Point attributes it should work for point groups

In the past I think Mantra didn't work with point based shop_materialpath so there is a chance it still doesn't, but if I remember correctly Redshift did, I haven't tried for a while though