Vellum Cloth Stitching Has Jagged Edges

cameron0393

Hi Guys,

I have been working on a cloth simulation in vellum where im making a pattern using a curve and then using those curves to dictate where the cloth will be split up into separate pieces using an edge fracture. Im then trying to have all of these pieces stitch together to make one whole connected piece of cloth that is made up of all of those pieces that were cut out. I intend to texture all of the separate pieces individually so currently i am using the piece attribute created from the edge fracture and then have converted that to groups to later be used in c4d to texture.

The problem i am running into is that the edge fracture is making all of my intended seams jagged.

5fbb70a19aa68_JaggedEdge01.thumb.PNG.7066e7842eae837a407990e1acd10b64.PNG5fbb741f9c572_JaggedEdge02.thumb.PNG.5bf148d7e3ece3517eec8e03e706509c.PNG

I feel like the edge fracture probably isnt the right way to go about doing this as it seems that its more geared towards RBD and destruction but havent been able to find a solution.

I would also be curious what the best way of stitching all of the pieces together would be?

I am using a vellum stitch constraint at the moment but also struggled to be able to get the seams of the pieces I had cut out to stitch to its respective piece.

Below is the render as it currently is, you can see all of those jagged edges.

Jagged_Edge_Render.thumb.PNG.5a4d1e65cebd94c9f4cc9f9b8787106d.PNG

Im still quite new to houdini so any advice or knowledge you guys have would be greatly appreciated. I have attached my scene file below if anyone wanted to have a look.

PS. This is my first post on the forum so if this is in the wrong spot please let me know.

Cloth_Experiment_01_v08.hiplc

On 23/11/2020 at 9:42 AM, cameron0393 said:

Hi Guys,

I have been working on a cloth simulation in vellum where im making a pattern using a curve and then using those curves to dictate where the cloth will be split up into separate pieces using an edge fracture. Im then trying to have all of these pieces stitch together to make one whole connected piece of cloth that is made up of all of those pieces that were cut out. I intend to texture all of the separate pieces individually so currently i am using the piece attribute created from the edge fracture and then have converted that to groups to later be used in c4d to texture.

The problem i am running into is that the edge fracture is making all of my intended seams jagged.

5fbb70a19aa68_JaggedEdge01.thumb.PNG.7066e7842eae837a407990e1acd10b64.PNG5fbb741f9c572_JaggedEdge02.thumb.PNG.5bf148d7e3ece3517eec8e03e706509c.PNG

I feel like the edge fracture probably isnt the right way to go about doing this as it seems that its more geared towards RBD and destruction but havent been able to find a solution.

I would also be curious what the best way of stitching all of the pieces together would be?

I am using a vellum stitch constraint at the moment but also struggled to be able to get the seams of the pieces I had cut out to stitch to its respective piece.

Below is the render as it currently is, you can see all of those jagged edges.

Jagged_Edge_Render.thumb.PNG.5a4d1e65cebd94c9f4cc9f9b8787106d.PNG

Im still quite new to houdini so any advice or knowledge you guys have would be greatly appreciated. I have attached my scene file below if anyone wanted to have a look.

PS. This is my first post on the forum so if this is in the wrong spot please let me know.

Cloth_Experiment_01_v08.hiplc

Some node are missing from your setup to reproduce exactely the nice folds of your picture and check, but you could replace edge fracture with boolean and increase your vellum setting precision