CentOS Project shifts focus to CentOS Stream

Drughi

CentOS Project shifts focus to CentOS Stream: CentOS Linux 8, as a rebuild of RHEL 8, will end at the end of 2021. CentOS Stream continues after that date, serving as the upstream (development) branch of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2020-December/048208.html

CentOS Stream is some kind of rolling release wich will propably not be adapted by the vfx industry. What will be the follower of centOS 7  (commonly used in bigger vfx studios)?

Edited by Drughi

I really have no idea. After Scientific Linux collapse there is only Oracle, which isn't exactly an alternative to IBM you would dream of. There is still time left, maybe they buy RH support for a 2-3 years, and start to migrate either to Debian or to some CentOS fork this situation effectively may produce?

If you are using CentOS Linux 8 in a production environment, and are concerned that CentOS Stream will not meet your needs, we encourage you to contact Red Hat about options.

If? Aren't most people using CentOS in a production environment? Even if it's just a webserver, having Cent behave like Fedora doesn't sound like a good thing.

Actually, this is on Redhat's page:

Think about it like this. The Fedora project is the upstream, community distro of Red Hat® Enterprise Linux.

I wonder what's going to happen to Fedora then?

ugh.

Yeah I scoured the net some more after that post. I'm with symek, this is just bad news all round. Anyone who moves to Oracle will likely regret that decision and/or get what they deserve depending on how naive they are going in :)

I guess the real question is what will Autodesk do, the reason why most vfx studios are on Cent/RHEL is because that's pretty much the only distro AD supports. 

https://centos.rip/