Sign in to follow this  
mara_91

local/manual edits in ForEach SOP?

Hello, I'm learning houdini and so far I'm loving it but I'm having a problem to understand a concept of manually editting something that has already been generated. I guess this could be quite a common use-case but I haven't found solution anywhere so I'm trying to seek help/guidance here:

I am working on procedural generation of buildings from their footprints. To simplify, I have a geometry node in which I have a foreach loop SOP that iterates over footprints (primitives) and extrudes them based on their height attribute.

Now, is it possible to select a specific footprint and change its height attribute so that this specific footprint will be extruded by different amount?

What I'm trying to achieve is that user is able to select any procedurally generated building and adjust/override its default/random parameters like height, roof type, texture... and after that - this building will be re-generated reflecting these changes (while other unchanged buldings won't be regenerated to speedup this process)

Does houdini provide such functionality? Or are there any best practices how to approach this problem?

Thanks

Screenshot_1.png

Edited by mara_91

On 2/14/2021 at 4:54 AM, mara_91 said:

What I'm trying to achieve is that user is able to select any procedurally generated building and adjust/override its default/random parameters like height, roof type, texture...

you can modify attributes as you want on your footprints geo using Attribute Adjust nodes or Attribute Expression, Wrangle, ... just specify group, ideally in a procedural based on attributes they contain way like: @name=buildingA*

also your extrude doesn't have to be in forloop it should pick up your height attribute per primitive

On 2/14/2021 at 4:54 AM, mara_91 said:

and after that - this building will be re-generated reflecting these changes (while other unchanged buldings won't be regenerated to speedup this process)

if you want them to be independently regenerateable, you may need to do it in TOPs, where you'd have footprint for each building as a separate workitem as well as all the attributes you care about, then next step can be editing of some and next would be building generation, TOPs can be regenerated per workitem without affecting unchanged ones, it may be trckier to setup and manage though