Problems connecting curves with the skin/loft nodes

SnowballWar

I am trying to to resample the number of loops of different types of quad meshes.
My process is 1. get the loops 2. extract the curves 3. resample them 4. Get a new mesh out of it.

But i am having problems, trying to connect the curves into a surface again. The skin node produces bad results ( see picture 4 )

Screenshot_1.png

The polyloft node is kinda working ( i have to tweak the u/v wrap ), but because it produces triangles, when i quadrangulate them i often get messy results. So is there a way to get quads out of the loft node, or  how to avoid the problems with the skin node ?

curveSkin.hip

Edited by SnowballWar

Yeah ... but the problem is that i am trying to create hda for maya that should work for all quad based models i apply it to. Maybe if i manually reverse the curve in this case it would work  but in any other case a different curve will pop up. So it will always require manual input ... which doesn't work for me. I want it to be automatic.

Basically what i am trying to do is to change the number of vertical or horizontal edge loops in a quad based model and convert them to curves. The closest thing i can come up with that somehow works is by using the subdivide and the get the horizontal or vertical loops and delete the ones that i don't need. The problems with this approach are

1. It always multiplies by 2

2. I can't reduce the number of loops that are already present.

I can't think of anything better as an option. If someone has an idea how to achieve the desired outcome without the skin node please do tell.

Hi,

you can try to set primgroups based on the neighboured points. If you walk over both prims and taking the sum of the lengths of a set of point pairs with different directions, one direction should have a smaller sum (which should be prefered). Based on this information you can set the primgroup. Here is an (heuristic) example.

curveSkin_mod.hipnc

11 hours ago, Aizatulin said:

Hi,

you can try to set primgroups based on the neighboured points. If you walk over both prims and taking the sum of the lengths of a set of point pairs with different directions, one direction should have a smaller sum (which should be prefered). Based on this information you can set the primgroup. Here is an (heuristic) example.

curveSkin_mod.hipnc

Thank you for the effort you put into this. 

I am still not very experienced with Houdini so i don't understand everything you did. 

This method seem to work with most of the models but it breaks when i apply it to the horizontal curves of the second test model. ( pCube2 )

Screenshot_1.png.f1281237b790a97efacc25003b3edb12.png

But either way, i will play around with it and see if i can fix it somehow. Thank you for your help.

Here is another update with some comments. If the primitives are sorted in a right order, you can shift the vertices based on the differences between the u-values. This will probably only make sense, if the polygons are closed (or open with same first/last point ~ which is the case here). You can also look into the file from anims link, there is less VEX Code. 

curveSkin_modA.hipnc