Using scattered points’ positions to map a repeating texture

Hello all,

I’m a relative noob and while this seems like it would be do-able, I have no idea which nodes I would need to invoke. I would like to map a repeating (but not tiled) texture on an object that already has an underlying material / texture. (So for example, knots on a tree trunk, or pimples on a human face.)

The way I imagine this might work is that once I’ve used Scatter SOP to scatter some points on my base object, I would somehow translate those point coordinates to UV coordinates (Not sure how to do this). Those UV point coordinates could then be used along with a texture’s 2D matrix to map its pixel data per point (Don’t know how to do this). I would also imagine I could use a pscale value with some randomization to vary the sizing of this repeated texture (again, not sure at all how to approach this). 

I'd also imagine I'd want to use some kind of multi-layered shader with alphas in order to preserve the base layer material properties. I should note that I’m using Redshift here, as I imagine this might make a difference as it might have a few more limitations compared to native Houdini texture/materials workflows (though maybe not?).

Preemptive thanks to any responders!

NpF

Unless I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like you'd like to do a type of layered "texture bombing" - if that's the case, the tutorial by @konstantin magnus may be helpful (and this is a topic that has come up repeatedly so a google search should give you a good amount of other reference if needed).

Edited by ryew
  • Like 1