Animate Bullet substeps

Spaz8

Silly Question, but is there a way to animate the substeps on an RBD bullet sim? Ideally i'd have many substeps on the first 100 frames, so things don't fall through the ground, then have a very low setting for the bulk of the sim, and then rachet up the substeps for the last 100 frames.

It seems you cannot animate the "global" dopnet substeps.. and keyframing the RBD_solver inside seems to be a lie, it seems to only use the value on frame 1 for the whole sequence. Any ideas?

Edited by Spaz8
typo

As mentioned in the master class, changing the bullet substeps from 10 to a larger number does not necessarily produces better results. Your "things" should not fall through the ground even at the default settings. Review your collision meshes first.

Edited by Atom

2 hours ago, Atom said:

As mentioned in the master class, changing the bullet substeps from 10 to a larger number does not necessarily produces better results. Your "things" should not fall through the ground even at the default settings. Review your collision meshes first.

I am sim'ing 15K+ things colliding with 100,000+ things so 10 substeps over 900 frames in an automated process. The 30? mins it would take is to use 10 substeps the whole time is not acceptable. The entire tool chain up to that point dosen't even take that long. I'm not very happy with a 12 mins sim time. I am doing most of my sims at 3 or 4 substeps :)  So being able to do 10 just where its needed would be great. Also its convex hulls penetrating a heightfield.. can't do much there. 

Edited by Spaz8