Houdini Unreal Engine USD export animation sequence

thejedi

Hi everyone . Is there any workflow on how to export from houdini a usd sequence to unreal engine Most tutorials out there all focus on exporting a single frame, so any tips on how to export an animation sequence of usd from houdini to unreal engine with all the materials/textures, lights, cameras etc....

I tried using a usd rop node with flatten alyers/flatten stage etc. nothing works in unreal.

Most of the time it either imports a single frame at the start, or it imports a single frame in between but it never imports an entire USD sequence

Screenshot (1060).png

1 hour ago, krishna avril said:

I doubt that USD is not totally supported in unreal yet, expecting in UE5, You can export an alembic sequence and import in unreal (sequence load in unreal is still beta), 

Hi Krishna

Thank you so much

I know about alembic, the problem is it will require materials and lighting to bee created all oveer agin inside Unreal

I was looking for a way for unreal to accept an entire houdini file including lighting and animations right away

But thanks for this information though

1 hour ago, krishna avril said:

CMIIW, Generally That is a one-time Job I export the first pass of the version and import in Unreal, the future versions I choose don't import materials while loading it automatically assigns for me.

Hi krishna

Thanks for the tip

Do you mean you are able to export alembic along with with textures out of houdini

because I thought Alembic is not capable of carrying textures

Do you have a workflow you can share with me on how to export alembic with the textures in Unreal

Thank you

5 hours ago, davpe said:

can you do HDA perhaps? not sure whether that works with lights and stuff but maybe worth trying... in case you havent yet :)

Hi davpe

Thats exactly my concern: the ability of HDA to respect lights and materials esactly as I would have set them up inside Houdini

Ill give it a try

Thank you