Break object using material data

AntoineSfx

This is a cobblestone texture from texturehaven.com

https://texturehaven.com/tex/?c=floor&t=cobblestone_floor_05

What would it take to use the mortar joints in the image to create some geometry that I could use map to the object in uv space and use as a cutter in order to break the object along the joints only ? I was thinking of creating one curve per horizontal line, one curve per vertical joint, then merge all of those, triangulate by forcing the edges on the existing polygon, then somehow use that to cut the object. Obviously it's not already done.

Can you point to a more efficient way to do this maybe in COP ?

break.thumb.png.5f6f61b6f1ec663a294b5a719022b229.png

I had to destroy a existing stone wall some time ago. So I have to respect the stone edges. It was the same problem as what you show, but with a large number of stones.
I went through COP to remove the outline of the stones but it was more work as I got the joints and the stones separated which was a bad idea. I did a set-up to to transform these path into simple lines like you are trying to achieve but it was not clean.
I spent a lot of time cleaning it up. In the end I regretted not doing the  cutting lines by hand like you are trying to do.

Also I checked your cobblestone textures, and  you will not easily obtain the outline of the stones easily whether in COP or even Photoshop.
The number of strokes is not that important, in the end it will be faster, and your cuts will be clean.
En bref des fois il vaut mieux mettre les mains dans le camboui haha !

Edited by flcc

1 hour ago, flcc said:

I had to destroy a existing stone wall some time ago. So I have to respect the stone edges. It was the same problem as what you show, but with a large number of stones.
I went through COP to remove the outline of the stones but it was more work as I got the joints and the stones separated which was a bad idea. I did a set-up to to transform these path into simple lines like you are trying to achieve but it was not clean.
I spent a lot of time cleaning it up. In the end I regretted not doing the  cutting lines by hand like you are trying to do.

Also I checked your cobblestone textures, and  you will not easily obtain the outline of the stones easily whether in COP or even Photoshop.
The number of strokes is not that important, in the end it will be faster, and your cuts will be clean.
En bref des fois il vaut mieux mettre les mains dans le camboui haha !

Yes, there is a roughness ambient occlusion file in the texture package, which provides a good starting point for cell separation IMO.

I think I'm going to compute the cells / stones outline using both COP and the lines I've drawn, if one of them is not good enough. For this one texture, I think the quickest way (for me) would be to define the joints by hand.. I tried to avoid it because it's a bit tedious..