Tiling in the COP VOP? - (just like the Tile COP)

Krion

Hi,

I am wondering how to tile in the COP VOP.
Maybe then you could pull off some nice tricks: tile and move only in certain areas based on conditions or move in certain directions based on vectors, etc..

I managed to create one tile to the right:

What would be a way to do this infinitely in every direction?

Thank you. :-)

make_tileable_in_VOPs.hiplc

Edited by Krion

It sortof works when I export the images and use a Color Map VOP or a Texture VOP, which have a 'Repeat' option, 
(See forums.odforce.net/topic/48214-substance-warp-node-cop-equivalent/)
but those can't use the inputs (with [op:`opinputpath("../", 0)`], my guess is that this is why the COP Input VOP was made..) so this greatly reduces the procedural workflow..

You also have to write the Alpha channel out as a separate image, because you can't pick a channel in the Color Map VOP from a .png or .exr file, and the RGBA output doesn't output the alpha.

So I would still greatly appreciate it if someone could help us, to be able to use the COP Input VOP for this so we can acces inputs and channels directly...

Edited by Krion

I was looking besides this also for looping Noises (found already those of 'techie'), but I hadn't seen this one yet, thanks.. Can you provide us with a link in your reply?

However this is about looping/tiling the input planes of the COP VOP.

Using this method of writing out/exporting is extremely annoying because the Color Map VOP and the Texture VOP do not automatically reload the textures when the files are overwritten by a new export. Restarting Houdini seems the only reliable way to reload the textures in COPs that are loaded via these VOPs.

Btw I have also logged this as an RFE to SideFX.. "Repeat" option for the COP Input VOP (RFE (ID# 114285).)
However it would seem possible in the Snippet VOP using these XRES/YRES variables , but my head starts spinning when trying to imagine it. It's just too hard for me at this moment.

Edited by Krion

• 4 weeks later...