FLIP mesh adjustments

5DNick

Dear ODForce krew,

I am doing a bullet through a fish tank in slow mo. I have simmed only a chunk of the water for two reasons. First so I can have more resolution, and second as most of the tank would not be affected by the bullet, saving unnecessary sim time.

I also have a procedural cuboid with ripples (frozen of course at this time scale), that becomes the rest of the water).

Where the water is coming out (having chopped the FLIP mesh and cuboid down the middle) I can boolean them together, SORTED.

62cff3b3dd878_2022-07-14(1).thumb.png.215da6af24784c8657c64f95757729c2.png

However the other side where the water is going in I cannot figure out an operation to leave me with the cuboid's face and the indented water of the FLIP mesh.

62cff3bb1c779_2022-07-14(2).thumb.png.686f0b08502d599d009e02a27ecf6d84.png

Any ideas or knowhow?

Thanks in advance,

5D.

NB: The cuboid is also essential around the parts of the tank that are not being affected by the glass because the interface of the glass and the water needs to be perfectly smooth, as if I use FLIP there and surface it no matter the smoothing it's not totally flat.

NB2: Here's a pic of the glass shatter to help anyone understand what is going on.

62cff3c286336_2022-07-14(3).thumb.png.9c734b3a06fdf6b1d2ed380269ce323d.png62cff3c9ec61d_2022-07-14(4).thumb.png.921f4322230ed5e0b78e445a3a68d39b.png

Edited by amaviztime

6 hours ago, Atom said:

Try using a clip node on your FLIP mesh followed by a polyfill set to single polygon. That will give you a flat surface on one side.

I'm sorry but how does this work? I'm not sure if you understood what i wanted? (sorry if I'm wrong about this)

I need the half of the cuboid on the indent side indented? How do I do that?

Maybe im not understanding but I cant see how what you suggested solves my problem?

Thanks

Edited by amaviztime

The explanation wasn't entirely clear to me, either - I was under the impression that Atom's suggestion was what you were after.

If you're trying to remove portions of the flip mesh covering the entry break of your aquarium, extrude those shattered glass pieces out and boolean your flip mesh with them and the section of the tank you want to cut out.  Basically, anywhere you want the flip mesh against the inside of your tank (or pieces of it), use that geometry to extrude out and boolean your flip mesh with, either as polygons or converted to high-res VDB and booleaned then back to polys.

You tend to get help quicker if you to post at least 1 cache frame of everything zipped up with a scene for people to look at; people can often find time to open a scene up and have a quick play with solution, but not build things from scratch to post.l

Ah OK. Zipped up and provided.

I'm not sure either of you have understood what I was after (my fault obvs).

62d0c965693a1_2022-07-14(2).thumb.png.90089cf590564ea179299526d34e4f4e.png

I need the blue outlined cuboid (clipped down middle (red dotted)) to be indented with the FLIP where the glass has impacted (red arrows).

NB: The FLIP mesh is clipped too (red dotted). After I will polyfill this other side and recombine with the opposite side clipped meshes (for where the bullet is exiting, splashing out, easily booleanable)

SCENE_AND_CACHE.zip

20 hours ago, ryew said:

If you're trying to remove portions of the flip mesh covering the entry break of your aquarium,

That's not it. I want the "union" of the cuboid with the mesh that's indented, so I somehow need to remove the intersection of cuboid and NOT(FLIPMESH), for the indent? But I've just realised it's not that simple because the rest of the NOT(FLIPMESH) cuboid intersection that is not where the glass is smashing inwards is left still! I'm getting a headache lol with this Boolean lingo and logic!

Edited by amaviztime

• 1 month later...

OK. My wife had a baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND I had computer problems ... but am back up and running (albeit very tired and smelling of baby formula!).

Thanks ryew, I going to try this instead of my headache method!

On 14/07/2022 at 10:32 PM, ryew said:

The explanation wasn't entirely clear to me, either - I was under the impression that Atom's suggestion was what you were after.

If you're trying to remove portions of the flip mesh covering the entry break of your aquarium, extrude those shattered glass pieces out and boolean your flip mesh with them and the section of the tank you want to cut out.  Basically, anywhere you want the flip mesh against the inside of your tank (or pieces of it), use that geometry to extrude out and boolean your flip mesh with, either as polygons or converted to high-res VDB and booleaned then back to polys.

You tend to get help quicker if you to post at least 1 cache frame of everything zipped up with a scene for people to look at; people can often find time to open a scene up and have a quick play with solution, but not build things from scratch to post.l

5D