Sharp spikes growth effect

m6zpu9fz

Hi Guys!
Does anyone know or have similar experience that how to make this kind of sharp effect on the surface

The spiny and oftentimes sharp spikes protruding from backs of some lizards.
eeter.thumb.jpg.9dc3ca76485fb2e0b1a046cdbdf5a9db.jpg

The more advanced idea is to let it cycle on the surface,a bit like fractal or growth loop.
messageImage_165752777691044.jpeg.b132d51ad4df98291539ea347ea65c39.jpeg

ask.jpg.ef8aaea789a226f7d94e169f0d3fe3ee.jpg

Mindfields-1200x750.thumb.jpg.d3b906dd1b69b13cfb373ba5c35158c1.jpg

Edited by m6zpu9fz

There's lots of ways to skin that cat, but if I was doing that as a character (meaning an animated lizard, as opposed to an effect that suggests lizard skin) I'd want to bake that into the model geometry. So while you could do it as textured displacement, but looking at the way it blends into the smoother areas of the skin, I'd probably do it as a polyextrude with the length driven by a painted attribute and the direction by a different custom vector attribute.

But to be honest, if it was a character that was going to be used in multiple shots, I probably would hand model it, rather than do it procedurally.

But I'll try to mock something up tomorrow.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2022/7/19 at 6:09 AM, madebygeoff said:

There's lots of ways to skin that cat, but if I was doing that as a character (meaning an animated lizard, as opposed to an effect that suggests lizard skin) I'd want to bake that into the model geometry. So while you could do it as textured displacement, but looking at the way it blends into the smoother areas of the skin, I'd probably do it as a polyextrude with the length driven by a painted attribute and the direction by a different custom vector attribute.

But to be honest, if it was a character that was going to be used in multiple shots, I probably would hand model it, rather than do it procedurally.

But I'll try to mock something up tomorrow.

Sorry to see it so slowly, your suggestion makes sense! It should be more intuitive to model those skin effects directly! Thank you for your suggestion! If there is an update, please share it~

On 2022/7/21 at 2:02 AM, konstantin magnus said:

Hi Guan,

exactly, the polyextrude node can take all sorts of masks and measurements for individually orienting and scaling its extrusions.

extrude_feathers.jpg.45a0675ff9122f6fe3e0027f5cb67dfd.jpg

extrude_feather.hipnc

Sorry to see it so late, And wow!! you are a powerful master! The demonstration effect looks beautiful and biological, I just found out now that polyextrude can change like this, thank you for your answer!