Bacterial Growth with Bullet

lugnut

Trying to do bacterial growth with bullet, I can grow the bacteria rods with the v@scale attrib and then replace the extended rods with two split bacteria, that then grow and split:

replicate_bac_8-31.gif.271d3185f9eebc9299a3cfd80081577b.gif

replicate_bac_8-31.mp4

The problem is that the rods don't get pushed around like I would like. They wind up all oriented the same and pile up on each other. I am sure it is due to how I am sourcing the split prims... When I simply spawn the rods and then grow them they push each other around properly:   spawn_bac_8-31.mp4

spawn_bac_8-31.gif.cd17c8703e7a1cfcb5b5950c67d6b8a4.gif

Here is the hip file with both the grow and split and the spawn: bac_replicate_rnd_01.hiplc

There's an old post on this topic that has a good reference for the bacterial replication, but no attempts at using bullet:

I also tried going back to 18.5 and using intrinsic transforms instead of what I suppose is the naive method of copying to points, - and using the reset bullet id trick instead of the @scale attrib as in H9.X - but the results were pretty much the same, here's the hip for that:  bac_rnd_18-5_01.hiplc

And also some other nice ref showing how the bacteria can twist and make strands ( ultimately the goal is to show a similar effect):  elife-32976-video3.mp4

elife-32976-video3.gif.2f58a0555c7569433ec2de6e956b961a.gif

I would appreciate any insight into this - a lot of this bullet stuff still seems like voodoo. For instance I am merging the new prims with existing prims and then deleting the old prims just to get the bullet attribs on them, I couldn't find any information about how to properly initialize new bullet prims for example. So thanks for any attention to this

-jb

Edited by lugnut
add gifs, clarification

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2022 at 12:46 PM, lugnut said:

Trying to do bacterial growth with bullet, I can grow the bacteria rods with the v@scale attrib and then replace the extended rods with two split bacteria, that then grow and split:

replicate_bac_8-31.gif.271d3185f9eebc9299a3cfd80081577b.gif

replicate_bac_8-31.mp4

The problem is that the rods don't get pushed around like I would like. They wind up all oriented the same and pile up on each other. I am sure it is due to how I am sourcing the split prims... When I simply spawn the rods and then grow them they push each other around properly:   spawn_bac_8-31.mp4

spawn_bac_8-31.gif.cd17c8703e7a1cfcb5b5950c67d6b8a4.gif

Here is the hip file with both the grow and split and the spawn: bac_replicate_rnd_01.hiplc

There's an old post on this topic that has a good reference for the bacterial replication, but no attempts at using bullet:

I also tried going back to 18.5 and using intrinsic transforms instead of what I suppose is the naive method of copying to points, - and using the reset bullet id trick instead of the @scale attrib as in H9.X - but the results were pretty much the same, here's the hip for that:  bac_rnd_18-5_01.hiplc

And also some other nice ref showing how the bacteria can twist and make strands ( ultimately the goal is to show a similar effect):  elife-32976-video3.mp4

elife-32976-video3.gif.2f58a0555c7569433ec2de6e956b961a.gif

I would appreciate any insight into this - a lot of this bullet stuff still seems like voodoo. For instance I am merging the new prims with existing prims and then deleting the old prims just to get the bullet attribs on them, I couldn't find any information about how to properly initialize new bullet prims for example. So thanks for any attention to this

-jb

Wow, I would love some insight into creating something like in this.

• 1 month later...