trees

Another trick is to just model the branches and trunk and create the leaves by modelling a rough volume representing the volume that you want to fill with leaves and birth particles to that volume at frame 1. Then you can copy a super simple leaf model to the particles with a somewhat random rotation that can be animated over time to simulate wind.

stu

at the moment i'm using L-systems to create the trunk and then using a pop to birth particles from the points and instance a sphere like object to these points. the only thing is the sphere doesn't look that real.

i seen a way in lightwave to jitter the sphere e.g. to brake it in to small pieace that look more like leaves any surgestions how to do this in houdini.

cheers bren.

not sure if this is what you meant, but if you make them poly spheres, append a facet sop to make the points unique, and then use a primitive sop, you can rotate and transform each polygon randomly to break up the sphere. use some version of rand($PR) in the transforms, and apply some arbitrary rotation. Breaks it up pretty good.

cheers stu for that the leaves look really good now.

the only thing is how do you get the L-System looking like a real tree.

at the moment it looks to mathmatical would the easiest way be modifying it with a edit sop or is they a better way e.g. a better rule for the L-systhem.

any help would be greatly recieved

cheers bren

yup...writing your own rules is what L-systems are all about...it pays to spend a little while figuring out the language.....

as a reference and a good (and maybe only) startng point, check out the notoriously scarce book:

"the algorithmic beauty of plans" by Przemyslaw Prusinkiewicz (yes, I cheated) and Aristid Lindenmayer (the L behind L-systems)

you can also load in some L-sys presets that ship with houdini (the laod prestes button in the params panel onthe L-sys SOP....)

check those out for some hands-on examples.

have fun (and please no edit SOP ;) )

Sirogi spent a good couple of months stressing over L-Systems during "The Time Machine", so he knows :)

L-Systems, very powerful if you've got your head around them.. until then, it's a useless black box. It just takes some experimentation, but it's fun!

Sirogi spent a good couple of months stressing over L-Systems

AARGHH...the...voices...my head......they're backk....NOooo....

L-Systems, very powerful if you've got your head around them.. until then, it's a useless black box

amen to that! "getting you head around..." seems to be one of the most painful expression of the english language ;)

cheers!

i'm trying to create a landscape scene but i'm having problems with the trees i've tryed l-systems but i've found it to processor intensive. to place them i instances them to a particle system.

so the question any good ideas or any tutorials out they.

cheers bren.

One way to create a unique forest is to create a branch and tree factory.

While not a tree, for the brooms in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone stone I created a branch factory which made some 300-plus different branches. The were variations in my L-systems / SOP setup so that when I played the animation, a different branch was created. One unique branch was written to disk for each frame of animations.

After the branches were written to disk, I created a broom factory that read in the bgeo files from disk and combined and bent the branches into the various broom shapes.

Writing the geometry to disk help me to keep Houdini from overloading.

-Garman

you bring up an interesting point i have tryed exporting the trees as .bgeo and then importing it the only thing is the memory usage is the same.

so the question does eporting then importingas a bgeo file speed up rendering time.

do you also have any suggestions what i can do with my tree to make it look better and anyway i can in crease render time as i have 500 hundred trees in the scene.

cheers bren.

Nice, andrew.

You can actually produce some quite nice looking grass just by making the root point of the grass spline dark (or black) in the point attributes. This give the feeling that the root is in shadow and you won't have to cast shadows (which is slow and may alias).

;)

cheers arctor that files a really big help i will give it a go and see what happens.

AndrewVK i look though the interface i can see were you can call a Bounded File(BBox from render SOP) but how do you save a geo to one. or am i getting confused and i should just save it as a bgeo file as nomal.

cheers ever one the scenes coming on nicely i will put more shots on there latter then the whole things come on a bit.

bren

Thanks Jason!

It is much faster and the result is even better:)

2 cs00bren:

Look for attached test scene. I hope it's not to complicated.

You can make different animations for any of 5 curves

(Bend Sop...Lattice Sop...Point Sop...Vex Sop...CHOPs)

and later save them as a sequence of geo (bgeo) files using Geometry ROP.

Also you can assign different length, width, color for these curves.

I have used VEX Clay as a shader for grass, but it is not so good idea.

Cause primitive's normals are oriented perpendicular to camera

(if the point attribute "orient" is not set).

The same shader is assigned to all curves and surface.

However curve primitives have Point attribute "diff" (set by VEX SOP),

while Vex Clay shader's parameter responsible for color has the same name,

then each curve primitive use it's own color.

At the same time, surface does not have this attribure,

therefore it uses the color set in SHOP.

DelayedRead.zip