Catduck - My Student Film

chunkified

Hey all,

Here is the production blog to my student film @ University of Hertfordshire, entitled Catduck.

The film is due to be finished on May 15th and is being made with Maya & Houdini for 3D and Fusion for compositing.

I'll also be posting stuff from the blog in this thread!

Thank you for your time,

nile :rolleyes:

OH! and here is my current but very old online portfolio: http://www.chunkified.com

Edited by chunkified

In the film there is a chase sequence based in an old, deserted town which has about 50-100 buildings that needed modelling.

Instead of wasting countless days modelling them by hand, i made building modelling tool created and below is video of it in action.

it's only an early version of the tool but basic functionality is there :)

(9.5 MB)

http://catduck.chunkified.com/wip/cBuildin...ilding_demo.mov

cBuilding.jpg

Edited by chunkified

ooo i'll definetly look into that!! i was getting really annoyed at the Cookie SOP because it's creating loads of N-Sided polys :(

If there is anything else that anyone can think of to improve or add to the tool (in particular shadingeach building) it would be greatly appreciated :D

thanks all for the positive comments :D

Edited by chunkified

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I'm in need of some help/advice with the building tool. I'm currently adding features to it, the main feature being a procedural shading system. My first thought was to use texture maps as I can create a small library of different variations and load them either randomly or manually in the 'Controls' of the tool. Unfortunately my Houdini knowledge is lacking in the VEX and Shading department so i'm having sitting here scratching my brain wondering how to get the texture to behave properly. (see below)

http://www.chunkified.com/stuff/not-good.jpg

(just projecting the texture othographically obviously looks crap on all other sides :()

Basically if you have the time and patience, what I need is a huge kick in the right direction on the UV's, opinion on whether i should use texture maps or make a shader, and how I would texture different sides of the building differently (i want to texture the roof differently if possible)...

Thank you for your time... again,

Nile :P

Edited by chunkified

yea i've tried UVUnwrap node but i don't want to have adjust the uv's of each individual building, take it into photoshop and texture it manually... :(

edit:

for those who are just coming into this thread:

watch this:

http://catduck.chunkified.com/wip/cBuildin...ilding_demo.mov

then view my previous post from today:

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=35672

again...

Thanks

Edited by chunkified

Try adding groups one for each side of the building and then use 4 UVtexture sops one for each group. Set the projection axis to match the direction of each wall.

Then you have 2 choices, either use a layer sop between each one so that you have 4 sets of uv coordinates in the same place - uv, uv2, uv3, uv4

or

set the scale to 0.25,1,1 in the uvtexture sop and then offset each set of coordinates by 0.25, this way you can fit all 4 walls in one texture map.

Basically you are building your own uv unwrap but one which is more controllable for your purpose

sorry to bother you all... AGAIN! :(

but having issues with the UVTexturing problem i had recently...

at the moment only one side of the model has the texture showing...

when I MMB the Shader node it says all 4 UV layers are present.

attached is a stripped down *.hip of what's been created so far so if any of you have time to look at it and tell me what i'm doing wrong... that'd be great...

thanks in advance

nile

building_help.zip

Edited by chunkified

The problem lies in the fact that your texture is repeating and not a decal.

Therefore for each set of uvs the map is repeated over the entire model.

2 ways to fix this

1. Use the other method I suggested.

2. Make a seperate shader for each face and change the uv attribute for the base layer to match each uv layer, then assign the seperate shaders using the groups you have already. Make sure to clear any maps from the other layers of the shader.