Moving to US (shipping entire PC advice)

caskal

Hey guys, 

I'm moving to LA (from Argentina) in 10 days. Idea is to ship the entire PC in the luggare, I know they throw everything without carrying, but I have a few ideas to protect it.

PC SPECS:

MOTHER
Gigabyte x399 Aorus Xtreme
PROCESSOR
AMD Threadripper 299wx 
GPU
2 x EVGA FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Video Card
RAM
128 x G Skill TridentZ 3200mhz CL14
COOLER
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
SSD
2 x Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
STORE
3 x 2TB WESTERN UNION
POWER SUPPLY 
EVGA SUPERNOVA 1600 G2
CASE
Fractal Design Define 7

Case itself ended up being a bit small, but my brother did some magic to make everything work, been working with this for 3 years and works perfectly. 
Thats one of the reasons I don't want to ship everything separatedly (also I know 0 about doing this stuff myself from scratch).

My initial thoughts were:

Taking of from the case:
  • RAM
  • GPUs
  • SSD AND REGULAR DISKS
  • POWER SUPPLY (mostly to win weight on the luggage)

But since the 2080Ti Hybrid come with integrated cooler, and it was a bit of a nightmare to make it work, he recommended flying with them within the case, taking off from the mother slot and seal it so it doesnt move to avoid breaking any hose from the coolers.

Here's a pic of my PC (ignore the dust :blush:)

pc1.thumb.jpg.6f100f5fdd9b33624de1f84867d2c826.jpg

And here are some protective elements:

pc2.thumb.jpg.668eca38ffd4aa7039ff11b377cfef6d.jpg

These bags in the middle "Instapak" acts like a airbag, you activate some chemicals and expands, idea is to put inside the CASE to make everything stick firm.

pc3.thumb.jpg.c5b2537b3f495f79753fe6c85b722c0a.jpg

Lastly, here's the CPU in the luggage:

ySJ6m0UIO0.png.652fbb5fbb490e69e66fdd33f63b24eb.png

Any thoughts, tips or recommendations are more than welcome!

Thank you!

• Like 1

Although they are guaranteed to throw things around, it's worth asking at the counter when you check it in for the flight if they can add additional tags or handling instructions (and try to insure it, of course).  +100 on pulling your priority hardware out and transporting it manually - I did the same with my hard drives last time I moved internationally and the peace of mind knowing my data was safe was well worth the trouble. 

Best of luck and safe travels!

Edited by ryew

Since the case is fairly small, the other thing I would check is with the airline about max carry-on sizes. I've flown with lens cases that size before. I know Delta (used to anyway) have a carry-on limit of 24"x10"x16" which is just a bit bigger than your case. A bit of foam and a custom case and you might be able to carry it yourself.

Of course you can get yourself into trouble if something happens and you then have to check it, but it is worth looking into.

Thanks for the tips guys! @madebygeoff @ryew

Will try to get some additional tags as well as take off the fragile components.

I tried putting in the carry on but the case didn't fit, that would be ideal.

Preparing the PC today, bought a lot of foam / bubble wrap / instapak and stuff, crossing fingers!

Thanks!!

• 11 months later...