Creating tree shapes from 3D models

Apesta

Hello, i am relatively new to Houdini and i would like to ask the community for methods to find a solution for my following project. So far i've been working mainly with C4D and Blender.
I would like to find a workflow to create tree shapes from 3D models. Specifically, in my project i would like to take posed mesh from DAZ3D of 2 hugging humans and basically turn them into a "wood sculpture". (probably 2 seperate intertwined tree trunks) I would like to find a way to do this procedural, so i can use this on different shapes in the future. For now my focus is on creating the shapes, not texturing.

So far i found 2 guides that might help for an approach:

Guide 1 is a great approach, but the branches are too small and look like veins. Also the human shape is "too visible". I am looking to create a more natural tree look with really thick, wild growing branches. More like a tree that naturally grew into the shape of a human by chance.

Guide 2 looks like a great way to approach the tree bark displacement, but there are only rock shapes shown and i sadly cant find a guide for a more organic, wood-like look.

My guess would be to find a way to combine both of these methods, but sadly my experience in Houdini is too small to find a solution by myself. I'm looking to create pretty much this exact type of tree shape:

foxtail-pine-tree-twisted-trunk-of-an-tim-fitzharris.jpg.dc56ff4128e10c76a89c96093374858e.jpg

I found this image under the keywords "foxtail pine tree", after searching for twisted branches.

I hope someone can give me some tips to find a solution to realize my vision for this project. I am highly convinced there is a possibility. Really looking forward to what you guys have to say!

@Apesta
Search here on Forum and Google Following
Marta Feriani 2017 Art-directing procedural vegetation in Houdini using a space colonization algorithm .
Ivy Growth .
+ anything from Vdb Iso  deform Displacement

you have endless ex on that Topic Plus Files .
Images done In Midjourney.

werr3.png

werr2.png

werr1.png

Edited by Librarian
  • Like 1