Creating a mask

PVok

Hello friends.

I wanted to ask you how you would approach solving such a task?

There is a model with uv, divided into hard/soft edge, smoothing groups.

It is necessary to make a mask on the hard edges of the normals. And output the mask via uv.

Uv should not change.

Any ideas on this? Thanks.

r1.png.c346f2f96b7980d7a501a0e5861500d5.png

r2.png.da2ffcad9045ba5162964a26ad00ee43.png

On 07.12.2022 at 18:10, hannes603 said:

maybe like that ? :)

Thanks, but not really. I would like to extract normals from the imported geometry without assigning them, and the chamfer only works well with simple geometry, with complex geometry it breaks.

On 09.12.2022 at 12:43 PM, vicvvsh said:

Hi,

what attributes except uv imported model has? What mask do you want to get - color or just attribute 0-1. And it is not clear for me what "...output the mask via uv" mean.

Uv and normals. The attribute would be enough. Ideally, a black and white mask. Output in the sense of rendering as a 2d mask.

On 09.12.2022 at 12:22 PM, hannes603 said:

i guess you might provide more info to it , otherwise it ll be difficult to help.  First tell us what exactly you want to do. Sometimes people just use wrong aproach in the first place..

Create a tool that generates a skew maponly not from the edges of the uv, but on the edges of the smoothing groups. Used for baking normals.

Edited by PVok

6 hours ago, vicvvsh said:

The normal vectors of vertices of a point, that located on a hard edge, are not coplanar, so this feature i used to find hard edges on a geometry. For visualization purpose i divided low poly geo.

Yes, that's what I need. Thank you very much!

17 hours ago, hannes603 said:

vicvvsh   . why so compicated? just a group node with maximum angle does exactly the same ... but nice script..

Thanks. Yeah, complicated a little, but not the same really.  Try to choose universal value of that angle to use it in for loop, for example, or select all hard edges on a geometry in this attached file.

mask_hard_edges_easygoing_01.hipnc

2 hours ago, vicvvsh said:

Thanks. Yeah, complicated a little, but not the same really.  Try to choose universal value of that angle to use it in for loop, for example, or select all hard edges on a geometry in this attached file.

mask_hard_edges_easygoing_01.hipnc

Thats true... your setup is runnig over normals, which is even better for more control... :)