PolyKnit Help

I3D

Hi all

I have this problem with PoluKnit, I've been walkthing through the Apprentice program and following the SpaceShip Tutorial. all is fine until I decided to model the SteeringWheel by my self :) First I wanted to model the Steeringwheel with nurbs then I decided to do them SubDs so here goes. :)

1- Made a Poly Circle

2- Revolved that (I know I can use a torus but I like circles :D)

3- Selected 4 Inner Polys for extrusion, those polys are pointing to the center of the circle to make the the center of the wheel

4- Made a couple of extrusion untill the extrusion started to come close togather.

5- Tried doing a PolyKnit to stitch the polys togather but every time I try to use them it goes all wrong. I choose the first point, then the opsite point, and then the point underneeth it. all is fine, but when I select the fourth point the resulting Poly is tri and not quad. I looked through the manual and found that I can use (q) in the point list, this helpes, BUT the biggest problem is that the resulting poly (in both cases tri and quad) is not stitched correctly. I mean I can see through the edges, and the resulting poly is not conitinues.!

I tried several other option but they didn't help either, like PolyStitch and PolyLoft..etc I even tried Fusing the points togather but even when the points are fused (with high distance) the resulting mesh is not contnious. Also PolyCap wont recognise the boundary to close the upper hole.

Now the Spaceship tutorial did walk through the PolyKnit when doing the Spaceship legs and that worked fine. but my guess is that it wonly worked because the the legs were not connected in the first place. meanin they were not originated and still coneected through the same surface. The legs were made through a duplicate OP but it's different than having the same source SOP PolyKnit it self. DOES that make any sense????

So can anyone please help out in here

Thanks in advance

I3D

Hi I3D

I'm not sure if I got exactly what the problem was, but I've attached three images which show how polyknit should be used. Its a bit confusing at first, but once you've got the hang of things its pretty robust. I've certainly used it in very complex situations.

Al I did is blast three poly's from a torus. The second image is the important one, notice how its zigzagged. It produces nice usable quads :).

One thing to note, if you knit your poly's in the wrong direction then the resultant poly's will be inverted, and so will appear black in shaded mode. Just follow the polyknit immediately with a 'reverse' SOP and you should be fine (the correct polys will already be selected).

torus1.jpg

torus2.jpg

torus3.jpg

oh, another thing.

Pay close attention when you're doing your knit, and you'll notice dotted blue lines running connecting the dots. These will show you where the new poly's will be created. If they cross over diagonally then you will end up with triangles. To remove the last placed point, simply hit the delete button.

Marc

Hi Marc

Thanks for your reply, and thanks for explaining the zigzag trick too.

But this situation works fine for me, I'm having truble with another kind of situation.

All explain refering to your images. if you just select two polys from the inner rim. the ones you blasted were on the outer rim. so just select two apposing polys and WITHOUT blasting them do a Poly extrude with the two polys selected. you can make only one extrusion or do a couple of ones. now when the poly start to reach each other try to make PolyKnit for each side at a time, the front, bottom, then the sides. This is where I start having the problem, as the resulting poly is Tri and not connected seamlesly. It does show the connection to be smooth but when converting to SubD it's not. I hope that made senese

Anyways, thanks again for your reply

I3d

I just did it, (and had marc look at it to make sure it's correct ;) ) and it seems to work well. Really watch the blue lines to make sure you don't get any triangles. I found that I actually had to click on the first and second points again, to make sure the last face comes in correctly.

Cheers!

Jens

post-19-1042065936.jpg

yes the blue lines are key. basically if your topology is changing too much from what seems to be a straightish line you should make your steps with polyknit closer.

that seems to help.

it's a great tool. much better than polyloft. with that SOP you couldn't specify quads if you wanted to use them.

-k