Rocket engine thruster effect

Daniel16_16

Hey folks,

I am trying to create a rocket engine thruster effect. I already have done some work, but at one point, I can't understand how to continue from there. 

What I've done so far:

- I created a line
- added a sweep node which creates a tube
- Then I used the scale option in the sweep node to create the rough shape of the exhaust.
- After that I scattered some points on the geometry and added the attribute noise node to wiggle the points.
- After that I added the volumerasterizeattributes1 node to create a volume out of those points.

Now, the main problem is, that the rasterization is kinda messed up and there are gaps in between (seen in the attached screenshot): image.thumb.png.79e4ba7fdcbb41671d3d58c4a29095be.png

I want to create something like that:

image.png.e29bd2f61be7d743a6b954e5303f591d.png

- my problem is, I don't know how to achieve that smooth looking result like in the reference picture: (up)

Some folks have told me to create the exhaust shape with geometry and then with the VDB from polygons node to turn the geometry into volume. I tried it out and I get the base volume shaped exhaust but I don't know how to add some noise to wiggle the volume or something like that.

Now, I am asking here, if someone could help me and tell me what I am doing wrong and what I could do instead.

Thanks in advance

Daniel :)

Try focusing on the rendered output, not the viewport. You could try VDB smoothing along the axis of projection or supply a velocity field for volume based motion blur.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Atom said:

Try focusing on the rendered output, not the viewport. You could try VDB smoothing along the axis of projection or supply a velocity field for volume based motion blur.

Ah yea, I forgot to mention: I will be exporting it to Blender as a VDB sequence. I won't be rendering it in Houdini as I have the apprentice version of Houdini.