Bamf (nightcrawler Type Effect)

chunkified

O! I didn't know topic keeps going. What I really ment is that on some stops from the movie I can see some parts of characer when other parts already turned into particles bamf... but this is minor point.

again, nice scenes guys!

cheers,

sy.

Maybe it's not ashes, but just some smart compositing character disintegration, something with a fractal noise look. Combined with the above mentioned particles + some more dust'n'noise - I think that would essentially do the whole trick, wouldn't it?

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

just found this old topic and have been looking at the bamf hip files that have been posted here. For my digital effects masters project I am doing something similar, but not entirely the same as this effect. I understand most of the stuff in the files except for the aanoise vex, which seems to be the crux of this effect. I was wondering if anyone could explain the nodes I need to use to create aanoise in vop level and the reason why it works :) I would be for ever indebted to you.

Regards

Fuzz

I understand most of the stuff in the files except for the aanoise vex, which seems to be the crux of this effect. I was wondering if anyone could explain the nodes I need to use to create aanoise in vop level and the reason why it works

Are you having problems understanding what the aanoise function does? The easiest way to get a feel for what it does is to make a very simple VOP network containing an aanoise VOP and to play about with the parameters to see what they do. Try adding these three VOPs to the default Output VOP in a VEX Surface Shader: Global Parameters, aanoise, and colormix. Wire the P of the global parameters VOP into the Pos of the aanoise VOP; the noise of the aanoise VOP into the bias of the colormix and the clr into the Cf of the output VOP.

aanoise uses Fractal Brownian Motion which you can read about here: Fractional Brownian Motion. Ignore the maths if that's not your thing and look at the graphs to get a feel for what the noise function looks like. Read the aanoise Vop's help too!

aanoise uses Fractal Brownian Motion

Heh thanks, see I was trying to be all arty (as thats what this course is about) and that just doesn't work for me, then you go and say something crazy like "Fractal Brownian Motion" and it all falls into place :) cheers for the help grasshopper

Fuzz

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...