VDB causing crashes

I took the plunge and bought a strong PC just before xmas with the expectation that it's going to be nicer to work with. Was ok for a while! 

Sadly I have recently had a week of pain with repeated crashing whenever I use volumes. It's an i9, 128gb ram, 4090,

I've been uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and trying all kinds to things this weekend to try to get things to work better and I'm still struggling. I've stripped everything back to the latest apprentice houdini version, a super simple setup with an advecting vdb, nad it crashes every time. None of the graphs are maxing out vram on my card nor ram in general, and I'm at a loss. Anyone had similar situations? And how to proceed? Should I find the proper ways to log bugs with sidefx and try not to stress about it? Luckily this was not a setup I need for work, it was just my hobby - but it still irritates me since I hoped this computer was going to be like butter.

I tried a really silly vellum sim and that didn't crash at all, and most of my stuff since I got this PC has been vellumy hence no issues; so rather unscientifically I have a hunch it is to do with volumes, vdbs specifically.

Any help would be gratefully received, I am taking a couple of days away from the big orange H to de-stress.

Sounds like a hardware issue. Back off on your overclock multiplier, monitor heat. A recent build I put together, I couldn't get the CPU stable beyond 3.6Ghz. If its a hobbiest build, maybe reconsider applying new heat sink compound or upgrading your cooler.

I reply here in case it helps anyone else having similar issues - it's solved!  My 13900k was at the mercy of some default bios settings which were bonkers.  Setting these values to the intel manufacturer supplied numbers put everything rock solid!  Did some disgusting vdb sims to test and no instability any more.

Thanks be to the internet gods - linking the thread here