Houdini 20 Instability

I would like to know why SideFX is not working on fixing critical errors. There used to be fewer issues with new releases. That is, after a release, you could wait a while and critical errors would be fixed, but not in the case with Houdini 20. I have submitted many RFEs, some of which were addressed, but the very critical ones remain ignored. Considering that developers interest in the current version has cooled off, as evident from the logs of daily releases and focus on the next release, it's very disappointing to see the overall decline in the program's stability. In the video, I demonstrated a simple example of instability, but in reality, there are many errors specifically in version 20. This was not the case before. It's a pity that Houdini's stability is falling with each release. It was tested on a plain Houdini without any plugins. The error consistently appears in both the Windows and Linux versions.

Best way to get these fixed is to record (video) exact steps to reproduce the issue and submit BUG report for each one. (RFEs are for new features).

IMHO "instability" is bit exaggerated as this one doesn't crash Houdini.

• Thanks 1

I agree it's kind of sloppy coding for the current release to generate warning messages. Repeated print statements can impact performance. To a new user, it presents the appearance that Houdini has a bug, or the user did something wrong. Even now, when I create a Karma node, it errors out. It still works, however, so why spit those messages at me?

It is possible to disable the console, which might improve performance for your tool. Try setting HOUDINI_DISABLE_CONSOLE=1 inside your houdini.env file? Houdini is like the matrix. I just look past that gobblygook to see what lies beyond.

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/ref/env.html

Edited by Atom

50 minutes ago, Atom said:

Я согласен, что для текущей версии кодирования предупреждающих сообщений это своего рода неряшливо. Повторяющиеся операторы печати могут повлиять на производительность. Для нового пользователя создается впечатление, что в Houdini есть ошибка или что пользователь сделал что-то не так. Даже сейчас, когда я создаю узел Кармы, он выдает ошибку. Однако это все еще работает, так зачем же мне плевать этими сообщениями?

Консоль можно отключить, что может повысить производительность вашего инструмента. Попробуйте установить HOUDINI_DISABLE_CONSOLE=1 в файле houdini.env? Гудини похож на матрицу. Я просто смотрю за эту тарабарщину, чтобы увидеть, что находится за ней.

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/ref/env.html

Actually, I'm talking about errors, not warnings. They can not only slow down the program but also tend to accumulate. I wouldn't recommend turning off the console.

22 hours ago, pezetko said:

Лучший способ исправить это — записать (видео) точные шаги по воспроизведению проблемы и отправить отчет об ошибке для каждого из них. (RFE предназначены для новых функций).

ИМХО, «нестабильность» немного преувеличена, поскольку Гудини не приводит к сбою.

I submitted bugs with videos via this link, and each error was assigned a ticket: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/25347

I guess what I see are errors as well. They are annoying, but generally don't impact my workflow. Here's what I see every time I put down a Karma ROP in the /out context.

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by Atom

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/12/2024 at 1:25 PM, Alexey Vanzhula said:

I would like to know why SideFX is not working on fixing critical errors. There used to be fewer issues with new releases. That is, after a release, you could wait a while and critical errors would be fixed, but not in the case with Houdini 20. I have submitted many RFEs, some of which were addressed, but the very critical ones remain ignored. Considering that developers interest in the current version has cooled off, as evident from the logs of daily releases and focus on the next release, it's very disappointing to see the overall decline in the program's stability. liteblue guide In the video, I demonstrated a simple example of instability, but in reality, there are many errors specifically in version 20. This was not the case before. It's a pity that Houdini's stability is falling with each release. It was tested on a plain Houdini without any plugins. The error consistently appears in both the Windows and Linux versions.

Houdini 20's stability issues are disappointing, with critical errors remaining unaddressed despite RFEs. Previous versions had quicker fixes post-release. The decline in developer focus on current stability is evident.

Edited by RoseCliver

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/12/2024 at 1:25 PM, Alexey Vanzhula said:

I would like to know why SideFX is not working on fixing critical errors. There used to be fewer issues with new releases. That is, after a release, you could wait a while and critical errors would be fixed, but not in the case with Houdini 20. I have submitted many RFEs, some of which were addressed, but the very critical ones remain ignored. Considering that developers interest in the current version has cooled off, as evident from the logs of daily releases and focus on the next release, it's very disappointing to see the overall decline in the program's stability. In the video, I demonstrated a simple example of instability, but in reality, there are many errors specifically in version 20. This was not the case before. It's a pity that Houdini's stability is falling with each release. It was tested on a plain Houdini without any plugins. The error consistently appears in both the Windows and Linux versions.

Ehall pass

It’s frustrating to hear about critical issues in Houdini 20 remaining unresolved. It's possible that SideFX is prioritizing future developments over current bug fixes. You might want to escalate concerns directly with their support team for urgent attention.

Edited by RoseCliver