transferring accumulated colour value to rbd bullet solver sim to activate?

hi all i'm trying to work up an rbd sim for some ground fracturing.  I have an object colliding with the geo and transferring colour to it.

Now in the scene (included) i have a setup that is NON-dopnet based... just using a point deform to shift the pieces - its kinda cool

But i wondered if i can get the colour to transfer over to my rbd sim and activate the pieces?  red being active and black being inactive?

01.thumb.JPG.a64f5d122644d45654badfc157449a86.JPG

02.thumb.JPG.b074d67ac70dcd02a7bb91b70fae92b7.JPG

ground_geo.abc shot_WRLDBRK_0196_scene_for_odforce.hip

Posted (edited)

i found a slightly simpler way and that was to remove the constraints tbh - that way the pieces aren't impacted by pieces earlier in the simulation and they sit put until the collision object hits them.   The pieces closer to camera (also in the scene) are cracking slightly but they dont get knocked out of their starting position and fly into space lol

I'm not sure if the colour transfer thing i was on about would have made much difference ..i guess it would only activate the pieces when that colour is present.. but again no clue how to do that - i dont know if it requires a solver sop inside the simulation network?

Edited by anthonymcgrath

On 6/21/2024 at 3:02 AM, anthonymcgrath said:

i found a slightly simpler way and that was to remove the constraints tbh - that way the pieces aren't impacted by pieces earlier in the simulation and they sit put until the collision object hits them.   The pieces closer to camera (also in the scene) are cracking slightly but they dont get knocked out of their starting position and fly into space lol

I'm not sure if the colour transfer thing i was on about would have made much difference ..i guess it would only activate the pieces when that colour is present.. but again no clue how to do that - i dont know if it requires a solver sop inside the simulation network?

You can transfer a color to rbd and activate piece by it (If I understood what you need correctly).

Same time keep deformation.

shot_WRLDBRK_0196_scene_for_odforce_v01.hip

shot_WRLDBRK_0196_scene_for_odforce_v01.gif.47f58c0777dbb804485cecb916da4d37.gif

• Like 2

On 6/22/2024 at 9:53 PM, fencer said:

You can transfer a color to rbd and activate piece by it (If I understood what you need correctly).

Same time keep deformation.

shot_WRLDBRK_0196_scene_for_odforce_v01.hip 3.63 MB · 4 downloads

shot_WRLDBRK_0196_scene_for_odforce_v01.gif.47f58c0777dbb804485cecb916da4d37.gif

this is exactly what i was after thankyou!  I just wasn't sure how to get that colour across - i'll check the scene file :)

@fencer - again thanks for your input into this scene - so much appreciated :)  i thought i'd share a couple of versions...

Heres the version using the setup adjustments you added thankyou!  I've got less fractured pieces here and they're a bit thicker but the idea works.  I quite like how the pieces dont seem to get flung outwards as much.
One thing i did notice is that the simulation time seems to be quite slow - i dont know if this is because there is no proxy geometry being fetched in from the solver sop / colour-transfer area in the scene?  Any ideas on this?
But overall its worth the wait :)
shot_0196_test_sim_new.gif.b5be1c54d0d255c4eeeda860d638eac8.gif

this is my original version that is pretty much a brute force sim.. a giant pile of fractured pieces resting and only activating at the point where hulk first hits the ground.  You can the ground is cracked up close to the cam and the pieces seem a lot more "free".  This one seems really quite heavy duty lol!
shot_0196_test_sim_old.gif.7945241d2eea60cf43c115ba2f792437.gif

test render of the old (2nd gif) simulation... still early days but its working fairly well for a nerd art fan film :D
shot_0196_test_render.thumb.JPG.1166904851c7a515c5836a031a546a6c.JPG

• Like 3

On 6/21/2024 at 1:02 PM, anthonymcgrath said:

Thanks for information