Nearpoint Question

petz

hi,

i have used the scatter sop and copied circles to the points. to avoid overlapping objects, i activated the "compute nearest" option and used this attribute to drive the scale of the circles. just for fun i have tried then to achieve the same result by using the nearpoint expression. i have used the following code - nearpoint("../point1", point("../point1", $PT, "P", 0), point("../point1", $PT, "P", 1), point("../point1", $PT, "P", 2)) - but all i got, was the increasing point number. i have tried the expression in several variations, but i can

point_distance2.hipnc

I don't think your expression can work because you want the nearest point in that SOP *except* for point number $PT. It's returning you the expected result since that is the point number that is closest to that position in space.

but i have no idea how to start

http://www.cricketschirping.com/processing/CirclePacking1/

http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McN...2DCirclePacking

Maybe a dop/sop solver can be used to pack circles?

It looks very iterative/recursive ...

Georg

(not working: pythonSOP rdg_circle_pacling_v1.13.zip)

Edited by rdg

• 4 weeks later...
Er, I think you're misunderstanding. There's no way that nearpoint() expression can work the way you want it to.

Well to be sure I think there is a way, perhaps you want to use a copy sop along with a delete sop in 2 branches one delete selected the other delete non selected using `stamp("../copy1",$CY,0)` as your expression in the pattern field, where $CY is declared in your copy sop, then use the nearpoint expression and using the delete selected sop as your lookat..can't u/l any files from here, Sony can be a bit particular about that :-/ in an atribute sop after the delete selected, but before the copy add an attribCreate sop with the expression

nearpoint("../delete2", point("../delete1", 0, "P", 0), point("../delete1", 0, "P", 1), point("../delete1", 0, "P", 2))

you can explicitly tell it the point number as there should only be 1 point in that sop, of course this is not going to be quick if you have a very large number of points, but it will do the trick.

you should add a delete sop after the delete selected, and delete everything and merge it back into one stream before the copy sop... worked fine for me.

-3db

p.s.

forgot to add in the number of copys field you should use the expression npoints("../scatter1")

Edited by 3dbeing