Beats to Rhyme

Mcronin

OK, so I'm starting to play around with synching music and animation in Houdini. I found that supposively, using the Beat CHOP and Keyboard CHOP, I can tap out BPMs on my keyboard. Problem is the help for both these CHOPs just isn't making sense to me. I played around with it at length last night and couldn't get it to work. Can anyone explain to be how I can use these CHOPs to tap out a beat on my keyboard manually?

EDIT: To be specific, what I want to do is generate a channel that spikes between about .75 to about 1.5 on every beat. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. I can keyframe this, but I really want to learn to use CHOPs.

Well I dug through ElKabong, and that didn't clear things up for me. They explain the very concept I want, but I really need step by step instructions. :(

I put down a keyboard CHOP, and appended a record CHOP, and after playing with the parameters I was able to get it to record one keypress, but that's all. Can anyone take the time to expalin it to me in depth? There's something I'm just not understanding. I know it's this isn't a difficult thin to do, but I just can't seem to figure it out.

Hi!

get a keyboard chop, assign 2 keys. Feed that into a beat chop. Now with scroll lock enabled and while playing back hold the first key and input the beat with the second key (two key presses minimum) then let them go. Pressing the second key without holding the first makes the ramp to restart without canging the tempo (good if you nailed the tempo but it's drifting a bit).

Ok now you got a ramp but you want pulses from 7.5 to 1.5 every beat. Lay down a limit chop and quantize the value with a floor and set the value step to the closest to 1 that still makes the quantization trigger. More sampling to the chops can give more accurate channel. To make the pulse go from to your desired values place a constant chop, value of about .75 then multiply it to your pulse with a math chop (combine chops to mult. works). Do the same but adding this time to offset the value to .7-1.5.

not really related but i have always wondered if houdini could be used to produce sounds for an animation. e.g.when an event happens in the animation could houdini make a sound.

this could be use full for creating scene with say cannos in it, when the canno fires houdini would make the audiofile at the right tme?

bren

absolutely, and I belive there are examples of this in the demo files (I believe the bats demo even modifies the frequency of the soundfile).

you could check out the copy chop. if you have a channel with triggers on it, you can copy a sound clip onto each one of those.

Anyway,

-----------------------------------