Particles Fluid Surface Versus Metaconvert Sop

symek

In H9.1 Particles Fluid Surface SOP is extremely fast. It seems to me that it can replace metaballs + metaConvert SOP approach. Only attributes (like vel) have to be transfered onto new surface from particles. What do you think about this new way? Has anybody tried to do it already. Are there some issues I don't see now? With Particles Surface geometry generation in many times faster them copying metaballs and conversion into polygons. I wonder what possible difficulties can be intruded with that. Does AttibTransferSOP interpolates particle's attributes equally well as metaballs?

thanks for your comments,

sy.

Edited by SYmek

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say go ahead if it works. :) The interpolations should be roughly the same with minor differences in the weighting kernal. Well, I haven't checked but I don't think you have a choice in per-point weights/kernals with the particle fluid surface sop.

thanks edward for your attention. I was trying to rise a discussion on particles to surface creation ;). But anyway, indeed I tried and succeed. Particles Fluid Surface is much faster then MetaConvert SOP even with a need to transfer attributes after its application. BTW: I wonder if not transferring any attributes from particles to surface by this operator is somehow determined by the way it's implemented or it will be added in a future. What about velocity and such? It is crucial to render simulations this way, right?

I put some test

thanks again!

sy.

BTW: I wonder if not transferring any attributes from particles to surface by this operator is somehow determined by the way it's implemented or it will be added in a future. What about velocity and such? It is crucial to render simulations this way, right?

This was RFE'd for H9.1 -and added! :) If you try H9.1's Particle Fluid Surface, you'll find it faster and far more featured. Of course you have deal with Houdini 9.1 being beta for a while - but it might help you anyway! :ph34r:

Very nice fire test, by the way - quite convincing. Now you have to add the tiger leaping through.

thanks edward for your attention. I was trying to rise a discussion on particles to surface creation ;). But anyway, indeed I tried and succeed. Particles Fluid Surface is much faster then MetaConvert SOP even with a need to transfer attributes after its application. BTW: I wonder if not transferring any attributes from particles to surface by this operator is somehow determined by the way it's implemented or it will be added in a future. What about velocity and such? It is crucial to render simulations this way, right?

I put some test

thanks again!

sy.

Looking good SYmek!

The particle fluid surface is really fast, perfect for the meta fire solution :)