My first Houdini Render(Animation)

Farid

Hi

This is my first houdini image after a 2 week of fight with the help system,i used the stamp and Pic function to displace and get the color,it's pretty simple project but i wanted to experiment since i meet Houdini just 2 week ago,i have to learn much,i know.This is of course animated,i don't mind to post the animation cause it take a huge time to render.one frame about half hour,even with just 15*15 sample rate .Mantra is a bit slow with my 2duo core and 2gb ram on xp 32. Thanks for the feedback!

cheers

Farid

post-3585-1205754765_thumb.jpg

Here is the video,rendered with mantra 8 with only 2 spot light and almost default render setting!

Thanks for the feedback!

Farid

http://www.bouchakour.de/video/Comp_384K_Stream.mov

Edited by Farid

Looks really nice, except maybe a frame you've chosen. What engine have you used here? GI or PBR? I bet this can be render much, much faster. Just needs some tweaks.

Cheers!

sy.

thanks for the quick reply!

I used PBR ,and have tryed every little tweek but can't get it render fast! It will be great if you can explain a better and fast render setting.

Thanks again!

cheers

hey Farid

that looks really interesting :)

well done.

nice too see how quickly u integrating some hard stuff in houdini.

yeah, the render times should be quicker than that.

could be worth the wait though :)

Many thanks,i have to admite that Houdini rocks,once i understand how it ticks,i was always thinking Maya was the best choice,but after installing the software i was able to do things wich in Maya would take me forever to do.Maybe i'll never understand how it works but the possibility are huge.I just buy Craig Books "Houdini on the spot",i don't want to dig inside yet cause ,it's first for the power user,but maybe i'll take less time to achieve a better work.

Thanks and cheers

Farid

Hi Farid,

Nice renders you got there! Have you tried to use Micropolygon instead of PBR? It might take more time to set things up but should be faster in the end. Alternatively, you should write out Photon Maps so you don't have to wait too long while re-rendering.

Great stuff! Please keep the updates coming.

Cheers!

steven

Steven's right - you can use Raytrace or Micropoly engine and just place a "VEX Global Illumination SHOP" with Ambient Occlusion or Full Irradiance set and get less noisy, faster results. And it lets you use the Irradiance Caching (on the ROP) to accelerate and smooth your renders.

If you end up using more interesting Materials and form an cool environment, PBR might provide you with prettier results -but at the cost of being slower. And do consider using Photon mapping to accelerate and smooth your illumination.

Steven's right - you can use Raytrace or Micropoly engine and just place a "VEX Global Illumination SHOP" with Ambient Occlusion or Full Irradiance set and get less noisy, faster results. And it lets you use the Irradiance Caching (on the ROP) to accelerate and smooth your renders.

If you end up using more interesting Materials and form an cool environment, PBR might provide you with prettier results -but at the cost of being slower. And do consider using Photon mapping to accelerate and smooth your illumination.

A big thanks to everybody,i noticed also that the PBR render tend to give a better result with higher cost,i rendered some with irradiance and AO and stil having some artifact in the image,here some exemples:

post-3585-1205780113_thumb.jpg post-3585-1205780131_thumb.jpg post-3585-1205781979_thumb.jpg The left one was Raytrace and the seconde Micropolygon render.

Thanks again!

cheers

Farid

Edited by Farid