H9 Glass material - transparency issue

Hello all

I am having a problem with the new Houdini 9 glass material. In my testing I have found that it is not transparent and I cannot see other objects through objects that are shaded with it. Perhaps I am unaware of the capabilities of this material or am not setting up certain parameters correctly. If anyone can shed some light on this issue I would be greatly appreciative !

Render and .hip file attached.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Scott Pagano

post-1153-1205882203_thumb.jpg

houdini_glass_03.hip

Hey Scott

What is happening here is due to internal refraction, try setting the IOR too 1 and your glass ball will be transparent.

So from your image, it is in fact producing the right effect, because the default IOR isnt 1.

what is happening is due to the ray that is traced and bent based on your internal refraction that distorts what is behind the object.

hope this helps

brian :blink:

Hello Brian

Thank you for your help. I can't find the parameter field in the Glass material to change the IOR. The old Vex Glass SHOP has a slider for this - but not the new H9 Glass material. Very likely I'm missing something right in front of me... Any ideas ?

Scott