Fracture tool

kumpa

hi all, I've tried out the KFracture tool and it works great ! Now I am trying to use the debris tool in conjunction with it, but the debris tool seems to require a group called "inside" in order to function properly. I'm somewhat of a noob in houdini. Any ideas on how to accomplish this ?

thanks

-ranxx

I made it before Shatter SOP and Debris shelf thing was introduced,but i ll take a look at it.

Btw, anyone using Shatter SOP ? It just doesnt work for me, every time i try to use it it generates a lot of garbage...

i use kfracture with debris: use point group of bounding box selection, transform to primitive group and call it 'inside'

so you are selecting all the inside faces by hand in this case ? I was hoping to figure out a more automatic way of doing it, as I want the "inside" group to only contain faces "inside" (ie not visibile in the unfractured object).

thanks

-ranxx

so you are selecting all the inside faces by hand in this case ?

no. group sop have option of groupig by bounding geometry (see create - bounding in parameters). it may be box, sphere or other bounding object (in my case - a box with scale 0.99).

Edited by almatea

The way the Houdini tools are designed, the inside group can be easily generated by creating the group on the cutting geometry before it runs the Foreach to fracture pieces. When the cookie happens, the group from the cutting piece becomes available on the resulting chunk that was cut. No manual grouping is necessary. Also you could create a 'notinside' group on the geo to be cut, then group out the inverse of that to create your 'inside' group.

We are aware the Shatter/Break sops produce poor results in many cases and they have been undergoing a redesign to produce better geometry, while being more robust and providing different styles of fracturing.

Edited by graham

• 4 months later...
Ok, I figured out how to set this up...

but how do I fix the fractured geometry's normals and uvs?

I tried the facet node but it wasn't working...

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dillon

Ok, So I figure this one out...

Facet is inserted after fracture node and activate the "Cusp Polygons" and the "Cusp Angle" to 30...

Still wondering about the secondary fracturing though...

Houdini masters, please help!

:)

Dillon

hi !

I deleted all but one piece, fractured it, renamed groups so it would not cause problems, and merged it all together with other pieces. See attached file.

k

Awesome example!

Thanks alot....

How would you set it up so that

Object 1 (e.g., consits of 4 fractured items A, B, C, D)

Object A consists in 4 other items A1, A2, A3, A4 as does B, C, and D.

How would you sim Object 1 [A, B, C, D] so that each of their fractured children stay together until a certain amount of force breaks them apart later in the sim?

Does that make sense?

It would be really helpful to a an autoDopNetwork or something.

Thanks a million!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great Tool Kumpa! I've looked around SESI and OdForce, and found a few hits here and there on "shattering text"... However, i haven't been able to find any that produce "perfect" results... I'm assuming it's due to the way the "font sop" creates the geometry? On regular geometry, kfracture2 works great from what i've tried so far. However, i'm still having issues trying to fracture TEXT that was created from a FONT SOP... I'm assuming it's due to the geometry of the FONT SOP... Would you be able to guide me in the right direction to get this to work for the FONT SOP also?

Appreciate it and thank you so much for the fantastic work!

Jonathan