realflow to houdini

Hi

Just want to ask if there is a way to import or export particles from realflow to houdini or vis versa,i know there is a plugin there but it's for 32 bit only,i'm using the version 64bit 9.1.179

THanks for your help

Cheers

Farid

a couple of days ago I finished a ReaFlow Bin import Python SOP

it should work on all OSes

give it a try and tell what you think

Thanks very much,but can you tell a bit how this work,i get an error saying not enought source!!!

Thanks again.

Cheers

What the SOP does is modify the attributes of the points you give it,

which means that you must connect its source input to a node that has

alot points (like a POPnet) for it to work on.

It doesn't create any of its own, that is why it gives you an error.

Hi... Is there any way to also bring the mesh from RF to Houdini? The particle fluid surfacer is not doing very good job in my scene.

Thanks

Edited by sasali

Thank you CeeGee...

Do you know what are the advantages or disadvantages of exporting .objs instead of .bin files?

Thanks

The RF Bin Reader SOP i posted earlier doesn't import the topology of geometric BIN files, only their motion.

So exporting .objs from RealFlow is the *only* way to go, if you want to import geom in houdini.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I have been doing the exact same thing today...(exporting meshes out of realflow as obj sequence).

However I am to stupid to get the sequence imported into Houdini :(.

Could you please tell me how to do so?!?!?

I tried this:

"File"->"Import"[tick "show sequences as one entry", browse to realflow mesh directory and select the sequence ].

It seems to import without ny error message, but if I go to the geometry level of that imported obj and middle click on the file node it tells me "Geometry not cooked" & and "unable to read file (file path (which is the correct file path))".

Is there anything obvious I am doing wrong here?

cheers

rodpacker

You might want to upload a few or a dozen or so obj files here, then people can test what the problem might be...

Hey guys,

I have been doing the exact same thing today...(exporting meshes out of realflow as obj sequence).

However I am to stupid to get the sequence imported into Houdini :(.

Could you please tell me how to do so?!?!?

I tried this:

"File"->"Import"[tick "show sequences as one entry", browse to realflow mesh directory and select the sequence ].

It seems to import without ny error message, but if I go to the geometry level of that imported obj and middle click on the file node it tells me "Geometry not cooked" & and "unable to read file (file path (which is the correct file path))".

Is there anything obvious I am doing wrong here?

cheers

rodpacker

Hey Josh,

thanx heaps for the quick reply. I just looked back into this to give it another go (after all this thread sounds like it should be working without problems) and I have been able to find the "error".

For some reason if I am importing the sequence (Mesh010000-Mesh01001000) Houdini displays it within the import dialog as "Mesh$F7 (100000-100100)").

However, after import that file node searches for e.g. Mesh0000001 instead of Mesh0100001 which is why it can't find the file.

I guess there is two solutions to fix this:

- change the naming conventions in RealFlow (within Export Central)

- changing the path/variables in houdini on the geometry level of the imprted file from the automatically generated "$JOB/Desktop/houdiniTest/meshes/Mesh$F7.obj" to "$JOB/Desktop/houdiniTest/meshes/Mesh01$F5.obj"

either way should be working fine.

cheers for the help

rodpacker

• 3 years later...