import light parameter

SpencerL

Hey,

I created a shadow shader which I apply to my light and it colors the shadows. I have created a color parameter on my light called "shadcol". I want to bring that parameter into my VOP network. I tried a parameter VOP and named it "shadcol" but it does not seem to bring in that parameter. Is there something that I am missing to bring the "shadcol" parameter into my Vopnet?

Thanks

Edited by SpencerL

I haven't touched light shaders, but "Import Light Variable" VEX node sounds like it could be what you need?

eetu.

EDIT: oops, I completely misread/understood - please disregard :)

Edited by eetu

Hey,

I created a shadow shader which I apply to my light and it colors the shadows. I have created a color parameter on my light called "shadcol". I want to bring that parameter into my VOP network. I tried a parameter VOP and named it "shadcol" but it does not seem to bring in that parameter. Is there something that I am missing to bring the "shadcol" parameter into my Vopnet?

Thanks

I suppose that you have to link (with ch() expression) your light parameter with a shader parameter and use that in shader's body.

I suppose that you have to link (with ch() expression) your light parameter with a shader parameter and use that in shader's body.

Thanks Symek,

Good suggestion. That sounds like it could work, even though it is somewhat of a hack. I am very new to creating shadow/light shaders and I am wondering if I am going about this in the wrong direction because it seems that there should be a way to import light parameters into light/shadow shaders, just as you can import attributes for surface shaders.

Thanks!

it seems that there should be a way to import light parameters into light/shadow shaders, just as you can import attributes for surface shaders.

You can't because these are parameters, not attributes. In a light, there's no geometry to bind attributes to, so they can't in turn override shader parameters of matching name/type (the concept of bound attributes just doesn't exist for a light -- there's nothing to bind them to).