silly animators

michael

some animators here have been doing a little shot for fun/practice etc: link(you'll need divx - caution - adult language - limited time for link)

and now they are rendering it....LOL....but they really don't know how...so today I'm at the studio and I get a message asking if I'll check on their frames....all looks fine...but some of the files weren't rendered with an alpha channel !!!...lol...they are really talented animators but they haven't got a clue about anything else...it's great fun bugging them about it...

yeah, its amazing how some people can just focus exclusively on one thing. I'm waaay too curious to not learn stuff like that.

The down side is that they're probably waaaaay better than me at what they do :)

:)...I've watched it about 50 times now and it still makes me laugh...

the characters are from a christmas special we did last year (so don't pass it around too much ;) )

it was all done in Maya, the models in the clip are the proxy geometry rig that the animators use - it's the result of our in-house rigging script 'Gesture', a modeler will build the low poly 'blocks' that approximate the true geometry and then the character can be rigged in about 3 minutes. This way the character can go off to be skinned and textured etc at the same time that the animators are starting the scene with almost real time feedback.

Unfortunately in this case the 'true' geometry is maya subDs which is soooo slow and crappy that rendering them is a really horrible experience...

here's a final pic:

post-13-1048117638.jpg