Is it possible to do something like that (in Houdini) ?

JCB

Hi,

I am new to Houdini and this forum.

Especially the Dynamics in Houdini are looking pretty cool (that's the reason why I am actually interested in Houdini) and I am asking me if its possible to do something like the picture shows. I always heard particle systems in Houdini are very powerful but I never saw much work in that area from the community.

I hope you guys will give me some information.

Best regards

Jacob

post-4003-1216645588_thumb.jpg

Actually, that's from Terminator Salvation trailer. And yeah that's all practical, i.e. a lot of gasoline, throw a match to it, booooom.

As for trying to figure this out, look for some reference on how explosions as hot as that work and build up from there, you need a lot of heat and temperature to start with that.

Thanks guys for your answers !

I dont wanna recreate exactly something like that. I wanna do something similar to this, but much smaller!

So, what do you recommend to start with? Are there any tutorials ? I already know some from sidefx, 3DBUZZ and

digital-tutors, but they are not really VFX based.

Best regards

Jacob

I don't think it's possible with the out of box toolkit in a pure technical sense (and not even considering budget and time constraints)..but that's just me. Someone could prove me wrong, if got a year worth of time on his hands :)

I don't think it's possible with the out of box toolkit in a pure technical sense (and not even considering budget and time constraints)..but that's just me. Someone could prove me wrong, if got a year worth of time on his hands :)

I dont wanna do something that big !!

I dont wanna do something that big !!

I think what Kodiak is trying to say is that an effect similar to that, big or small, will require a lot of R+D time.

Movement would be a mixture of fluid and particles. If you are new to houdini, I would start getting your head around particles. Once you get the movement working properly, then its the rendering side of it. This will most likely need to rendered as a Volume, which can be created with i3d's or you can render metaballs as volumes.

Check out the FX Tools shelf which you can download on Sidefx Exchange. That has some pre built tools for doing smoke. The Heavy Smoke tool renders metaballs as volumes so I would also have a look at that.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...&Itemid=274

• 2 weeks later...