New Houdini 6 build

michael

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

err...a note on the PDF docs...

there seems to be some reorganizing happening...

the tutorial guide is still gone...nothing new - as far as I can see...but lots of changes....the creation dates on all the PDFs is 3/24/03 (the standalone.pfd is unchanged) and they all have those crappy ._fileName.pdf files (writen on a mac? :) )

the geometry PFD is now over 8MB (up from 3.5) ...looks like the files are 20MB bigger than before....

have to start reading to find some changes...

edit>

looks like much of what was in the tutorial guide has been put into the docs proper - l-systems into geometry, Expression Cookbook into ExpressionLang. etc...

Sheeez arctor you took the words right out of my mouth. I have been swamped at work this week, I hate doing IT work, grrrrrrrrrrr! :angry: so I have not been able to play around with the new build .249. I got home today installed .249 on my home PC, and started to compare it .242, and noticed it was about 20-30megs bigger, and I was thinking what did they add. I scanned through all the folders and noticed the "bin" folder was about 1 - 1.5 megs bigger and that the documentation was about 20 - 30 megs bigger. I noticed that they updated the documentation a little for version six. Now in the lower right coner it says version 6 :P and that some of the .pdfs are bigger in file size, and that some have had new text added to them. I think the most noticeable change in the documentation would be expression langauage, scripting, rops, and something else. [forgot] but everything else is the same. Why the heck are there two versions of every .pdf ex: ._channels.fmk.pdf and channels.fmk.pdf gots me. I noticed the ._* files where only a few hundred bytes in size.

Ohhh well, Now I have to start reprinting everything out again. And I was just about to finish reading all the docs.

btw all this information applies to the windows version of houdini, but I am sure it goes across the board, but do not hold me to it ;)

cheers

-capin_crunch

I would wait a few weeks before printing anything from the docs...

I think we're seeing stage one of the Houdini 6 docs...moving all the tutorial stuff into the main docs and some re-organization...

much on the pdf docs still refer to 5/5.5 etc

the new tutorial stuff is in HTML I guess...

the ._channels.fmk.pdf etc files are weird little files that OSX creates...they are sooooo anoying...we only have one mac at work (the boss loves mac) and whenever he looks at anything on the file server he leaves behind all these little files <_<

they are safe (and fun) to delete...