hanging on load

Dee

I use mandriva 2008 Spring and tried to install the apprentice edition of houdini 9.5 stable from the site. When I entered source houdini_setup_bash in the install folder and then tried to run houdini, the logo screen opened .....and stayed there....until I killed the process.... When I entered hkey to see if that would work, it entered a new line in the console and then did nothing. I looked at the log messages for the license server. It shows that it is communicating with something, but houdini doesn't open. I deleted that version from my system and installed houdini 9.0. That one worked when I installed it last and I have the starving artist edition of that exact version installed in windows. It still didn't load. Exactly the same thing. No feedback, nothing.

Can anyone tell me what's going on? What would I have to do to get it working? I want to use houdini in linux instead of windows for stability purposes.

Do you perhaps have a firewall you can disable temporarily?

Or perhaps its a display driver thing? You could setenv HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE=1 and try OpenGL in software mode?

I have no firewall running and I tried setting HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE=1, but it did the same thing. It sits there with the jumping girl or if I run hkey it says "connecting to license server" then that disappears and it just has hkey-bin running as a background process without showing anything. It's driving me nuts! I'm usually pretty good at fixing this stuff, but I don't even know what the problem is. There's no error message. It checks out the noncommercial license just fine and then it just ....sits there....doing nothing.

Is sesinetd running? Thats the license server that hserver connects to. Hserver is local license server which Houdini connects to.

Yes, sesinetd is running and so is hserver. I can do all the command line stuff just fine. When it tries to make a graphical interface, it just hangs. It worked once before I updated, so I reinstalled mandriva back to defaults. No luck. It does the same problem only it isn't set up anymore so I have no licenses installed. I can't run hkey to load a noncommercial apprentice license or get a license key to allow me to do anything. Is there a way to tell it what screen to attach to? I'm not using compiz or anything fancy and am using...

[root@DeePC hfs9.0.794]# X -version

X.Org X Server 1.4.0.90

Release Date: 5 September 2007

X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0

Build Operating System: Linux_2.6.22.12-server-1mdv Mandriva

Current Operating System: Linux DeePC 2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb #1 SMP Thu Mar 27 14:34:39 CET 2008 i686

Build Date: 14 March 2008 04:11:49PM

Before reporting problems, check http://qa.mandriva.com

to make sure that you have the latest version.

Module Loader present

My sesinetd log file says:

16:42:59 08/06/08 sesinetd: server start pid=7047 IP: 127.0.0.1

16:43:00 08/06/08 sesinetd: Usage: 0/0/0 Houdini/NonGraphic/Render [Peak 0/0/0]

16:43:00 08/06/08 sesinetd: QueueStats: 0 requests 0/0 peak/fail

16:43:00 08/06/08 sesinetd: Threads: 0 peak, wait: 0/0

16:43:00 08/06/08 sesinetd: Max Wait: 0 (0/0)

16:43:00 08/06/08 sesinetd: Avg Wait: 0 (0/0)

21:47:56 08/06/08 sesinetd: local server DeePC not found in licenses file

21:47:57 08/06/08 sesinetd: local server DeePC not found in licenses file

But hkey won't run so I can fix that!

I've installed compiz-fusion and now the "connecting to license server" message pops up when I enter hkey in a console, but then it disappears and goes right back to the earlier hanging in the background. I know it's attaching to the right screen and I know it works, but it's not loading.

I tried removing my houdini preferences folder from my home directory and also tried running glxgears. I have full opengl support and it runs fast. I have a GeForce8800GT for my card and I'm running version 169 of the linux graphics driver. Even with that, if I don't run houdini and simply run hkey it tells me connecting to license server. The license server acknowledges, then hkey-bin just hangs. No reason for it....it just hangs. Doesn't draw a window after it closes the connecting to license server dialog or anything. Just runs in the background continuously for hours or days (until I kill it). If I could get hkey to load up, I think houdini would then load as well. I just can't figure out why it isn't loading. Everything is checking out. I have the exact version of the nvidia driver that they list on the sidefx site, too. I'll try recompiling the driver from scratch instead of using the dkms loader and see if that helps. Is there anything else you can think of that would cause this sort-of problem?

Edit: I should add that I can load everything command-line. I can run mantra and all but it complains about no license so I can't render. When I had a license (before I reinstalled the system to see if some updates/programs I had installed were the reason) it would load up and start to render, but would never produce an image. Just black filling the space.

Edited by Dee

I really hate to find myself asking - but is there any chance you can use one of the officially supported (or alternative but tried & tested) distro's?

Do you have a choice like this?

I'll look into it but it would be an incredibly difficult thing to pull off. I use linux as my main OS, only going into windows to render or play a game. Which one do you recommend?

You don't happen to have HOUDINI_ENABLE_LINUX_THREADED_UI enabled do you? Sounds like you might be running into the problem with xlib on newer versions of linux.

When I echo $HOUDINI_ENABLE_LINUX_THREADED_UI in a shell it comes back empty, so I'm guessing not. I tried running hkey with it set to 0 and 1. Still the same result. The dialog telling me it was connecting to the license server, then nothing.

I'm not entirely convinced that you've turned off the extra compiz related stuff. I googled a bit on this. If you go to Mandriva's Control Center > Configure 3D Desktop effects, choose No 3D. Also look for anything that looks related to XGL and turn that off.

I'm not entirely convinced that you've turned off the extra compiz related stuff. I googled a bit on this. If you go to Mandriva's Control Center > Configure 3D Desktop effects, choose No 3D. Also look for anything that looks related to XGL and turn that off.

Yes, I did. I shut everything 3d related down. I stopped using kde 4.1 and went back to 3.5.9. I not only disabled compiz in the control center, but I uninstalled it as well. No luck running as my user name, so I logged in as root and tried it that way. No luck there either. I updated to nvidia drivers 173.14.12 and no luck. I'm downloading opensuse, but I have never used it before so I have no idea how it will work on my system or what parts will be difficult to configure/different. It will be a long while before suse finishes. I ran strace hkey and it listed a bunch of ui.pref.** files that were not there and then started asking for the timeofday. Then it just sat there.

I'll look into it but it would be an incredibly difficult thing to pull off. I use linux as my main OS, only going into windows to render or play a game. Which one do you recommend?

Personally I like Ubuntu. And it seems to work fine with Houdini.

you know my old radeon 9700 was always causing troubles,in any version of houdini(till 8 to 9.5)

no suprise to have this freezing when i fire 9.5 for the first time. then in sesi, top massage at apprentice section,telling that upgrade your drivers. i don't remember for nvdia but radeon should be 8.4 and higher.

did so. and i realy suprised. i was always doing this ogl_buffer stuff. but not this time. the first time i fire it (after the driver update),it took abaout 5 minutes or so to open . next sessions are opening within few seconds. as my computer is from stoneage,i was not expecting to work with 9.5 smoothly.