Tif and RAT problems

abvfx

Hey guys, thought i might try this place out because things can run slow over at SESI sometimes (just how it is, no problem :) ).

My main problem is i cannot use the tifs i want. It simply says "unable to load texture".

consolehw1.jpg

You can see it isnt the backslash problem :)

Yet i can manually load it in mplay.

Is this a restriction, because the texture is high rez?

Also i know that using RAT files are more efficient so in an effort to use the iconvert method i come up against a brick wall.

"Can't create output file"

Is this another restriction of Apprentice?

Like I said I can manually load the tif into mplay, but when i save it out it squashes it (non-proportionately) and applies the watermark (which i though that only applies to final render, etc)

The thing is this is a displacement map, so will the iconvert apply a watermark and size the texture down? If so, then how do i use the original tiff because it simple wont load.

"Can't create output file"

Not sure if this relates to your problem, but I saw similar warnings when reading TIFs saved from Photoshop.

After disabling color profiles and other fancy stuff in the save dialog Houdini read the files without complaining.

Edited by rdg

to avoid ALL (I think) the restrictions use the picnc format.

Yeah that works so i dont have a watermark. but its restricted in size, which i can understand.

But if done some testing and the only way to use the tif as a displacement map is to reduce the size of it to around 500x500. It was originally 4k (which is big but there is alot of detail there).

And now alot of stuff isnt getting picked up.

Is this a normal feature/restriction?

For Apprentice users (mostly), non-rat textures are automatically converted to .rat these days in mantra 9.5. For awhile though, there was a bug in Houdini Apprentice where the conversion would fail if it was greater than the Apprentice resolution limit. To my knowledge though, the bug was fixed in 9.5.204. Note also that the latest production 9.5 build has been updated to 9.5.241 since its initial release.