A robot rig WIP

ofer

Hi, I'm working on a rig for my robot model. I have made some good progress so far, but still have a lot to do.

Here is a quick test animation.

I also have a little problem:

I have a HDA for the leg rig, and I have a CHOP network in it. Some of the geometry is driven a rotation channel of one of the bones in a non-linear way, so I use the 'chop' expression to sample the rotation value. But the channel name contains the full path to the CHOP. Something like "/locust/leftLegRig/KinCHOPS/invKin_Chop/legBone2:rx". This is a problem because I want to reference the "legBone2:rx" from both the left/right asset instance. Is using the rename CHOP the correct solution?

rigTest.mov

Here is another test animation.

I still have problems with my feet positions. I want them to stay planted on the ground, but they are floating around as I move the body control. The roots of the leg's bones are parented to the body control, and I use the IK with Constraints solver, so maybe thats the cause of this.

Any suggestions on how to solve it?

Thanks.

rigTest2.mov

I need the bones to rotate in particular directions. They should only rotate around the X axis, and not Y/Z, because this will cause the mesh to penetrate itself. The robot will "break". And i also need to limit the rotation around the X axis, for the same reason.

I refined the rest position of the bones, and also found that it is better to parent the mesh to the bones before setting the rest angles, and not after.

I also added ammo chains, driven by DOPs.

I animated a quick walk cycle.

walk2.mov

Really?

The hip (first) bone is not limited to one axis, but the angles are limited. If I wont use constraints, it will be very easy to cause self-penetrations.

And the bone will rotate around in directions I don't want them to. Maybe I'm missing something here. Ill try.