Houdini units?

michael

I've only been able to find 1 reference to Houdini's units > 1 unit = 1 meter.

is this right?...can it be changed?...will it screw things up if it is changed to, say, centemeters?....

I've imported some obj's from Maya and they are HUGE lol...because Maya's default units are cm....

so I guess my question is:

can I change Houdini's units, or, would it be better to scale the objects down in Maya before exporting them?

suggestions?...advice?

ah....thanks Steven

all I could find was :

from the 3D Spatial Audio docs

You may also want to change the scale of the whole environment to reflect the sizeof the scene. The default scale is 1 meter per 1 Houdini world unit. To make the environment sound larger than the scene, increase the Meters Per Unit parameter on the SpatialAudio CHOP's Environment page.

so Houdini doesn't care eh?...cool...I guess one would just have to keep things consistant

Maya doesn't much mind either - unless you're doing Dynamics etc...then it does all it's math assuming 1cm.

edward > ???....make it even bigger...??? why?

right now the foot of my character geometry is bigger than the construction plane... :o

I'll just have to remember to scale down in Maya when I export...hmmm...maybe I'll add that to the script

If you are working in maya in inches, you just have to do the conversion from inches to centimeters.

1/2.54

That is if you don't mind working small. I usually set my construction grid to be:

grid spacing 0.08333 x 0.08333

grid count 24x24

grid ruler 12x12

the grid count gives me two feet and the grid ruler gives me the foot breaks.

It helps.

Only problem I have incountered doing this is some of the tools/SOPs don't "behave" as nicely as they do if the geometry is in a larger scale. Sesi has been trying to accomodatet the smaller scale as much as possible.

just a my $.05 CDN

-k :lol:

inches eh?...bah...I'm a metric kind of guy when it comes to anything 3D related....

I've almost always used Maya's default centemeters and only ever changed to meteres when I was dealing with someone elses files...I can't imagine using inches... :blink:

I always use arbitrary units, unless I am pinned down with rope and steaks. :huh:

The only parts that have "units" are the cameras and lights. The physical camera settings like focal length and aperture are in mm's.

If you have a scene modelled in inches, you have to use thekenney's cpnversion factor with a one decimal place shift to scale inches to mm. It should be 1/25.4.

This is always a bother with regards to depth of field and rendering. All changed for Houdini6 as the cameras have a DOF handle now! No more stabbing at camera values and figuring stuff out, unless you have to duplicate exact camera values. Then you still have to do some sipherin'. B)

I really like the new camera and light handles, especially the occlusion stuff.