GI and curve primitive?

Hi all..

Anyone ever played around with rendering the open curve prim (or hair) and GI together?

My hair looks nice when rendered directly but looks like ass when I turn on ambient occlusion. I haven't tried the real GI yet, but I'm not holding out much hope.

sucky sucky suck suck!

Marc

Personally, I don't think I'd dare to try to render hair with GI. Maybe render it seperately and composite it in. I saw your WIP, that hair was looking pretty damn good. It would probably look great composited into a GI render with some minor tweaks in COPs.

Well, the hair just shades black (head hair ;)). I guess the two don't go together since orientation is important for the hair shader too. If its not oriented towards the camera then it doesn't look like hair.

bah.

I think I'll render it seperately and composite it. Still seems like there should be something I could do though. Maybe I'll harrass some people at work on monday.

Cheers

Marc

Here is what Will told me on SESI's forums,

here is a small bit of info from r and d that might help...

"In a surface shader you need to ensure that the normal is

front-facing. When irradiance() is called from a light shader, the normal is already front-facing (from the surface call to illuminance()), and so the

frontface() function shouldn't be called.

I'm not sure if this applies to occlusion too.

jim.