Beginner - Particles wetmap

haggi

Hi,

just starting to learn Houdini... again.

What I want do create is something like a wetmap. Particles collide with a surface and at this position a color is created and stays there.

From several tutorials I know how to color a surface with the help of a attribute transfer. I let my particles collide with a surface and with a attributeTransfer operator I copy my particle color to the surface. But as soon as the particles go away, the color vanishes. But I want the color to stay once it it set.

Any ideas how to archive this?

Basic scene is attached.

Thanks

wetmap.hipnc

Hi,

just starting to learn Houdini... again.

What I want do create is something like a wetmap. Particles collide with a surface and at this position a color is created and stays there.

From several tutorials I know how to color a surface with the help of a attribute transfer. I let my particles collide with a surface and with a attributeTransfer operator I copy my particle color to the surface. But as soon as the particles go away, the color vanishes. But I want the color to stay once it it set.

Any ideas how to archive this?

Basic scene is attached.

Thanks

you need to create a feedback loop. I think there is a DOP example file which uses a sop solver to transfer color and keep the color once it is transferred.

This thread has some ideas about how to accumulate with AttributeTransfer as well.

Edited by johner

That tool inspired me to try and work on an erosion effect:

I think I'm going to start using to sop solver a lot more from now :).

- it's a bit fragile to get it to work, but once it's working it's pretty sweet.

- next I'm going to link it in with shaders and tweak it a bit more.

particle_erosion_12.hipnc

blast_02.avi

Edited by pclaes