importing external blendshapes

theflu

hey, i'm new to houdini, and after the first days of getting into, i'm really impressed!

my question is, how can i import my blendshapes i'Ve been modeling in a diffrent application.

is there a way to feed the blendshapes in houdini with those morphs, instead of modeling them inside houdini?

thanks in advance - ulf

thanks for your answer.

and sorry for my maybe noobish question.

as i understand right, i have to setup my imported shapes as edits of my main shape, right?

so i'm not messin with 10 coopies of my character for 10 diffrent shapes.

i'll give it a try.

yep...

check out the sopcreateedit command in the textport...

this will allow you to have all your imported shapes converted to edit sops, then you feed those edits into a blendshape sop...

just shout if you need a hand...

hey michael, thanks for your answer.

unfortunately i always get a message unable to find node one

to test it i made a geometry node, and inside two file nodes called one and two.

after running the "sopcreateedit [-][-o] one two" i always get "unable to find node one.

then i tried to set it up like node one->deform->node two, but i get the same message.

could you point me out what i miss :rolleyes:

thanks again!

thanks alot for the file michael, gonna try to dive in.

but one question is left, in your file on the textport, thers already a directiory set /obj/TREANSFER_BLENDSHAPE ->

when i have my two file nodes in my geo node which is supposed to turn into an edit and run the texport, there is already /-> without a directory and im not allowed to edit this path beginning.

thats probably why it says unabled to find... so how to i give textport the right directory? :unsure:

Edited by theflu

ay, thnks, and again sorry to ask so stupid questions...

its running now to the right directory now but says "Unable to rename edit1."

but it puts an edit to file one, which is empty, or not filled with file2, like supposed to.

use the file I uploaded and just pipe in your geometry

then use the sopcreateedit command that I put in the comments...

when Houdini says it can't rename a node that usually means there is already a node with that name...

so when you write:

sopcreateedit NAME DESTINATION_MESH RESULT

be sure that NAME is unique

If you're new, just get things working first by creating as many File SOPs as you have shapes and wire them all into the BlendShapes SOP with your base shape as the first input. Then on the BlendShape SOP's parameters, click on the Update Channel Names From Inputs button to set up all the blend sliders. Try animating them and see if everything works well. Then worry about sopcreateedit, which is strictly an optimization step.

thanks edward.

the blendshape setup works fine.

but michaels file is a bit confusing for me as im new to houdini, maybe i need some more time, im sure its a great solution, so ill wont give up :)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Why is it important to transfer the origin mesh (via a lattice) to the destination mesh before using the sopcreateedit function.

It worked with a couple of face shapes (that were just file sops) without the need for that whole process and the edits sops that came out were just fine. Is there something i am missing, the only thing i can think of is if the original geo and destination geo are topologically different ie a model change. But other than that is there anything wrong with bypassing this part of the setup if the source and destination meshes are topologically identical?

If you see this set-up with the Lattice SOP, chances are the topology has changed but you still need to have the geometry match the new shape. From what I gather, if you so much as insert an edge or reshape a part of a model in Maya, the topology (primitive sort) will have changed enough to break things that rely on identical topology.

If you have identical topologies for all the shapes, absolutely rip out the lattice logic. Common sense should apply. ;)

For the single Edit SOP and the Blendshapes SOP's assume morph setup where you wrap it around a Deform SOP, each blend shape needs to be captured in a single Edit SOP.

The Edit SOP stores the deltas (changes) from the incoming geometry. The BlendShapes SOP can read these deltas from that single Edit SOP and apply them to the animated geometry coming out of the Deform SOP.

Cheers old school, yeah i was just curious about that lattice, seemed like a lot of work. But its a cool workflow.

Another thing it could be used for is just doing blendshapes on the head with the rest of the body deleted. And then use the lattice to connect the morphs back to the body mitigates a lot of memory consumption along with the read times, but you can't really view the entire model with the transferred shapes in realtime, but its a decent workflow.