Emit smoke from particles

Ungoliant

gas particle to field DOP may be what you need

look at the file, especially the red nodes in autodop network, other stuff is only vorticles and smoke

This is a pretty cool workflow :)! However, I was advised not to use it because you don't have a lot of control over how the voxels sample the particles and therefore when you upres the results become different.

I've just implemented a different way to transfer attributes from particles/points in sops. I think you should then be able to use the resulting volume in dops to add the density values. The attribute transfer in sops gives you a bit more control over how big the radius of transfer is.

I'm mainly planning to use this to transfer velocity fields defined in sops to dops where they hopefully will help create a cool effect. Eg.: create a helix in sops, transfer the tangent vectors to the curve as velocity volumes in dops to create flames that spiral along the helix.

I've commented this file as much as a future reference for myself as for others.

transfer_sop_attribs_to_volume_02.hipnc

I was advised not to use it because you don't have a lot of control over how the voxels sample the particles and therefore when you upres the results become different.

can you please be more specific what kind of problems I can run into using it?

i am allways using gas_particle_to_field DOP based on Max Extrapolate Distance not Max Extrapolate Cells and therefore making it resolution independent and it works nice for me

i am not using Gas Upres workflow however, if you are refering to that.

I've just poored that volume attribute transferring into a digital asset.

I think it might be quite useful.

Hmm, still not quite there though - can't seem to render it properly "the normal way".

I can't write it out to disk directly with a rop output driver for some reason (I suspect the "op:" inside the volume vop for reading the pointcloud as I have never really used that often) which is annoying.

I can however use a file sop set to automatic and that will write it out to disk just fine. It will also render after that.

helix.otl

volume_attribute_transfer.otl

post-1666-1247183645_thumb.jpg

transfer_sop_attribs_to_volume_05.hipnc

Edited by pclaes

This is a pretty cool workflow :)! However, I was advised not to use it because you don't have a lot of control over how the voxels sample the particles and therefore when you upres the results become different.

I've just implemented a different way to transfer attributes from particles/points in sops. I think you should then be able to use the resulting volume in dops to add the density values. The attribute transfer in sops gives you a bit more control over how big the radius of transfer is.

I'm mainly planning to use this to transfer velocity fields defined in sops to dops where they hopefully will help create a cool effect. Eg.: create a helix in sops, transfer the tangent vectors to the curve as velocity volumes in dops to create flames that spiral along the helix.

I've commented this file as much as a future reference for myself as for others.

Another way to do this that's a bit faster is just copy metaballs directly to the points/particles, then use the MetaWeight VOP inside a VolumeVOP, using the op: syntax as in your example. Since AttributeTransfer is metaball-based anyway, you're doing close to the same thing, and you can do things like vary the metaball weight in the copy based on attribute values, etc.

See attached, and also see this thread for some examples of doing this sort of thing within DOPs. In particular in that thread I put a fairly hackish approach to having particles emit density into a sim while the sim is advecting the particles at the same time. It's a bit of a strange workflow, but the effect is sort of cool.

transfer_sop_attribs_metaweight.hipnc

Thanks for the info Johner.

I like the fact you can modify the radius/weight per particle that way! I don't think the other two methods allow for that at the moment.

I'll have a look at what you did in that little experiment of advecting particles that are emitting smoke themselves.

• 6 years later...

gas particle to field DOP may be what you need

look at the file, especially the red nodes in autodop network, other stuff is only vorticles and smoke

Hi Tomas,

This file does exactly what I am trying to do here - spew smoke trails from y particles. Is there any way you could post an updated version of it for H15? I'm trying to wrap my head around it ....

Thanks if possible!