clean mesh out of *ai file

hey ,

theres is a function called "planar" in maya to get a clean tessalated mesh within theboundarys of a complex spline....looks somehow similar to a booleoperation...

i got my best effects by using the ray SOP projecting my ai curve onto a high resolution grid and deleting the not needed polygons...doing so i get a clean mesh but the downside are the borders.

is there a better way similar to "planar" in maya

thx

• 4 weeks later...

I'm familiar with importing .ai files into other programs.. in my experience you should only be doing this with nurbs, not polygons since the ai file is going to be made up of curves which nurbs supports directly and then you can loft the surfaces.. I am guessing that maya is using nurbs for what you are describing as a software called Moi can be used to do something similar and houdini may be too.. try the convert SOP after importing and convert it to Nurbs and then move the curves around a little bit to give 3 dimensionality and then you can loft / skin, etc them

Edited by rd1010

Good old planar. Was in PA... Only way to display and render a curve as a surface in PA. :P Does Maya still has that limitation?

Fyi, Mantra and Houdini can shade a closed curve as a surface. Just use either the Ends SOP or a Primitive SOP and close your curve if all you want is a solid shaded curve that displays and renders as such. Only reason to dice it up is if you want to edit the interior or you want to control the surface when pulling the boundary points up or down and you don't want bad shading.

The most common ways to fill a curve as a divided surface. I am assuming closed curves. Try any of these methods.

----

Divide SOP: Append a Divide SOP and do a bricker operation on it. Polygons only.

----

Skin SOP: Append a Skin SOP. This skins curves in to a surface. Not so good for concave polygon faces. Works on NURBs and Beziers too.

----

PolyCap SOP: Select your curve and use the PolyCap SOP.

----

Cap SOP: Adds a cap to your surface. Rounded with a scale of 0. Similar to Skin in that it doesn't handle concave polys very well.

If you are dealing with fonts or holes, you can use the Hole SOP to generate a surface. The Hole SOP will bridge holes to surfaces. There is a tolerance on the tool so the curves don't have to be perfectly aligned. You will want to follow up with a bricker if they aren't coplanar.