Seamless Image Cloning

edward

A fun paper I did using Houdini. The paper is cool because it's done simply using Mean Value Coordinates (MVC) as discussed many times here.

http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~danix/mvclone/files/mvc-final-opt.pdf

Coordinates for Instant Image Cloning

Zeev Farbman (The Hebrew University ), Gil Hoffer (Tel-Aviv University), Yaron Lipman (Princeton University), Daniel Cohen-Or (Tel-Aviv University), Dani Lischinski (The Hebrew University )

(SIGGRAPH 2009)

post-209-125002538367_thumb.jpg

seamless.mov

post-209-125002561755_thumb.jpg

post-209-125002562352_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I watch the movie but there's a big leap between calculating the MVC coordinates and just adding them to the source image....

The MVC coordinates are used to interpolate the color differences at the boundary of the source image between it and the target image. These interpolated differences are then simply added back to the source image. So really, it isn't a big leap at all. Although it's not mentioned in my video, this paper only uses 2D MVC coordinates so it's extremely simple.

I will probably have a more in depth look at this at a later time as there MVC seem to come back quite a bit.

This reminds me. I should mention that they show a failure case in their paper that looks to me like it's due to non-positive mean value coordinates. So another extension is to use Simon's Houdini implementation of PMVC for this paper instead and see if their failure case can be avoided.

The MVC coordinates are used to interpolate the color differences at the boundary of the source image between it and the target image. These interpolated differences are then simply added back to the source image. So really, it isn't a big leap at all. Although it's not mentioned in my video, this paper only uses 2D MVC coordinates so it's extremely simple.

Oh I see it's far simpler than I imagined, it looked from the images like it had done something clever to matte around the fur, it must just be that the background colours of both images were pretty similar so some nice blending was all that was needed. Still good though.

Yep, so I did carefully pick out two pictures so that the result looked good. :) If there is too much "boundary" or "texture" around the object that you are pasting, then it can look bad. However, in a lot of cases it's used more like a better "clone tool" from Photoshop. In fact, this is just like Photoshop's "patch tool" except faster as discussed in the paper. For background, see also Poisson Image Editing and this course page.

If you check out my second video, I have an example of estimating an alpha matte as well. So in theory, you could apply a matting technique first and then do the seamless cloning.