Photoshop save to .rat

LaidlawFX

An easy solution is to write a VB script that runs houdinis convert tool on your file and add that script to Save Document in the Scripts Event Manager.

EDIT: Also i don't think sidefx have released info on the rat format so you can write an exporter unless you wanna reverse engineer it.

Edited by Erik_JE

There are other formats that support similar features, why .rat specifically? Also there are some features that are in .rat format that Photoshop will be unable to handle (like deep shadows).

.rat are the fastest to render out of Houdini, since they are mip-maped and do not need to be processed by the render-er. Also when I am done painting my textures out of photoshop instead of having to do any intermediary steps, it would be nice to create a direct path. At render time it saves significant time, and pipeline wise it saves a a couple minutes, whether I was going to engage a script for a bunch of tiff conversions, or open mplay if I need to adjust manually, since the texture is non-standard, for one dumb reason or another.

I certainly don't want to bring in data from houdini to photoshop, but that does have some interesting possibilities.

You can just save out the tiff or exr or whatever format that Houdini will read, and then use icp to convert it to .rat format.

I know, which is what I do now. I just want to cut out the middle process, and press save from inside photoshop. Save As .rat. Done. It would probably have to run a save as png/tiff under the hood before it converts, but it is one less command.

like typing h, instead of houdini to open up my session, or ho-tab.