How can I reorient objects to face surface normals on a sphere?

magneto

I am trying to do simple projects off top of my head to learn more about copy stamping, but this problem I am not sure how to solve inside Houdini.

Basically I am creating 1000 Grid SOPs on the surface of a Sphere using the Copy SOP, and it works fine. But I want the Grids to be oriented so they face away from the surface normals of the sphere, like its own polygons.

I am stuck because I don't know how to get the normals info from the sphere.

Here is the pic:

TCPJq.png

Make sure the normals exist first, right now it doesn't look like you sphere has normals. then make sure the grid is in the x/y plane, flat on the z. Basically what is pointing down positive z will be oriented pointing down the normal... create a cone (tube with one end radius = 0) to better understand how orientation works.. an up vector will also be be respected when using the copy sop...

Thanks guys, I did what you suggested and it worked. It's amazingly cool.

Btw now I have another problem. I know how to do it but couldn't find if houdini has something to help with this.

Basically I want to color these Grid SOPs so that they show the whole color spectrum say from bottom to top. I know I can do it with HSV very easily but the Color SOP is using RGB which wouldn't be possible to linearly interpolate colors. Also I could sort the points using the Sort SOP so it's no problem in the order but the color.

Any ideas on this? :D

Edited by magneto

id suggest fit() ;

so , in bottom to top case , fit ymin and ymax from 0 to 1 and assign that to the color channels .

or in general you can use a color ramp with BBY as a segment .

there might be other ways too .

--

im posting from a mobile so , sorry i couldnt post any file ..

• 6 years later...