Speeding up

Good morning, could anyone of u help me in this issue:

I am loosing speed, when the modeling progress requires more nodes to attach. Is there any trick on how to cook the nodes, or how to hybernate the nodes which doesn't require more work on themselves?

I've tryed saving geometry to disc, and reloading that into the network, or collapsing the nodes mentioned into a subnetwork, but after a point these can not help.

I work on a full figure, a statute, with much detail, It contains about 16000 vertices, but now the workflow is slowing.

Thanx for your help.

Hey there

Yeah, what you're doing is certainly one of the methods of doing it.

Personally I'm a fan of saving the geometry to disk and reading it in with a file SOP. This allows me to keep my network just in case.. (in case of what I'm not sure, but you never know :P)

As long as your network isn't being displayed in any way (templates, footprints) or being referenced by anything else then it shouldn't cook and shouldn't slow things down too much.

Cheers

Marc

another thing i thought of is that if you are commonly hitting the render button to see your model real quick in mplay, then you might notice some slowdowns. I *think* mplay saves your images to ram, so if you have a bunch of things rendered without closing it, then you might have all those images sitting and taking up ram.

it's unlikely that this is it and hard locking or exporting\reimporting is your best option, but i thought i'd mention it.

Yeah, saving out geometry is pretty flexible. I keep the name of the saved .bgeo object the same as the current file so I can remember which particular .hipnc it belonged to. So if I'm working on Mymodel56.hipnc, I'd save the geometry as Mymodel56.bgeo. Then later when you're up to Mymodel89.hipnc and the network is getting too big you'd save again as Mymodel89.bgeo...you get the picture. This way you don't loose any steps and you could string together all of the SOPs from the seperate networks to get one complete network, (assuming you have enough RAM).

For example you'd open up Mymodel56.hipnc, then open another Houdini session with Mymodel89.hipnc and copy/paste all the SOPs from that file and attach them to the network in Mymodel56.hipnc. Now you have the whole thing from the first polygon to the finished model, great for educational purposes, or just to make yourself feel special :D

Don't lock any paint, sculpt or edit SOPs. You will loose all your painting or editing changes when you unlock them. They will revert back to when you just put them down.

If your SOP chain consists of nothing but paints, sculpts or edits, then insert a null SOP and lock that.