worked/working for CmiVfx ?

kleer001

For those of you that have a video there ( moondeer and bandini ). How was it? I've been approached and am brain spill ball storming with someone from there.

Has anyone else been approached but said no thank you?

I've been trying to get a good grip on the whole teaching thingy for a while and it looks like a good opportunity to get into it. I don't expect to get rich off it. I'm sure the profit margin is reasonably slim there.

PM if privacy's an issue.

Not sure about cmivfx, but if you have good ideas, you can also release them by yourself. I think some Houdini guys do that. You might not have the same marketing but if you advertise your stuff on Houdini forums, I think you could make more money :)

I think the trick to get people buy them is to show that you are committed. If you only have 1 tutorial for 6 months, people might not want to buy it. But if you are releasing every 2-3 months, then I can see it getting some traction.

Just my experience as a customer :)

• Like 1

One more thing to be careful about is taxes and how that income is added to your income.

For me the hardest part is not the creation of the tutorial, but the legal navigation around my current visa restrictions and the taxes and rules for setting up & managing a corporation in a foreign country. Right now I am very limited as to what I personally am allowed to do on the side in the US. When you are on an H1B, you can only really work for your current employer - this means you can't even get add revenue from a blog or write a book or create a tutorial and get some money from it.

The workaround is to set up a company not in the US ( which really is stupid as I would love to incorporate in the US). That's what I am currently looking into. But that takes time, research and money to get going. Of course green card holders or American citizens don't have these restrictions.

Perhaps where you are located there are not such harsh restrictions for setting up your company.

• Like 3

US citizens still have to pay tax wherever they live though AFAIK

Not necessarily. U.S. citizens are obligated to file a U.S. tax return regardless of where they live, however - like many countries - the U.S. provides a foreign earned income exclusion up to a certain amount (which I believe is currently in the neighborhood of $95K) before you are required to pay U.S. taxes on foreign income earned while living abroad.

Edited by ryew

Not necessarily. U.S. citizens are obligated to file a U.S. tax return regardless of where they live, however - like many countries - the U.S. provides a foreign earned income exclusion up to a certain amount (which I believe is currently in the neighborhood of $95K) before you are required to pay U.S. taxes on foreign income earned while living abroad.

I didn't know that, because most of my US friends working in Canada were complaining about having to also pay US taxes, and I am sure they don't make $95k :) So either they don't know or there is something else. Also 95k is a great threshold for the majority of people.

Actually, even anything over 95k is still not necessarily going to be taxed, because the tax rate in Canada is higher than the U.S. If your friends are paying double taxes, then they are doing something wrong.

That's good to know. I was thinking it 's gotta be very tough to be a US citizen if it worked like how I have been told wrt taxes :)

Making tutorials is not about money! It's about highlight your name and contact. Others will see what you're capable and you will get more better job offers and that's where the money comes from :)

Edited by MilanSuk

Making tutorials is not about money! It's about highlight your name and contact. Others will see what you're capable and you will get more better job offers and that's where the money comes from :)

haven't seen tutorial more than beginner+ or intermidiate level. so it hardly helps to show author's real skill. Nobody wants to share some production/expert knowlege it seems)

the higher the level the more time it needs to do a good tutorial, and often it gets too specific on a certain problem for a bigger audience. It should not be underestimated how much time it consumes to produce good video tutorials for any skill level

• Like 1

For those of you that have a video there ( moondeer and bandini ). How was it? I've been approached and am brain spill ball storming with someone from there.

well, i work with cmiVFX. i do the setup and project management of the lessons there... so... am a bit biased. lol. i can be reached here: eric@cmivfx.com

cheers!